Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Meet Penny

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Performance Penelope (Mistress 3 Penelope if yer nasty)
CE20E63C-C599-4EAC-B455-8C4D2B56CC7B.jpeg

We became close this afternoon. We have about 80 miles together. I’m looking at a few exterior things. Id appreciate a viewpoint from others here.

I’m pretty sold on tint. I’ll stay legal for TX, more or less. I believe that’s 35 vlt for the driver and adjacent window. I think windshield tint is not legal here, but I’m still giving 80 vlt a thought. I can’t imagine that being an issue with law enforcement. I’d like to keep the heat and glare down. Im willing to gamble a fix-it-ticket plus the cost of install, but I’m not looking for any more trouble or an insurance headache.

I’m doing a cost analysis on PPF and I can’t find it listed on many cars for sale. In 5-7 years will the value difference between the protected car outstrip the value of a well cared for car without PPF by the cost of the installation plus opportunity cost?

I’m also considering doing a ceramic DIY treatment from Gtechniq plus their water shed top and I’m hoping it keeps a decent exterior over time. I’m not running a ton of mile each year if that makes a difference, probably 8k a year for the past couple years - maybe a bit less.

Any thoughts or suggestions based on a 5-7 years projected timeline for wholesale value?

I like to look of subtle carbon fiber on the exterior. The Tesla specific CF mud flaps are about $200. I can find ones for other high end rides for less than half that. Is there an inherent flexibility of those to mold to a slightly different arch of a wheel well? I’m speculating that a fair amount of 3M tape might correct any misalignment, but my experience with CF is limited to rigid parts or fishing rods. There a ton of daylight between those two extremes.

Is it douche-y to have CF door handle, mirror caps or camera covers? I’m a little afraid I’ll overdo here. I’m not looking for attention, just a nod for good taste from aficionados.