Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Met the X - Whats next?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@MXinCT, Reading your post help prep us for our test drive of the MX in Portland today. Thanks.

Our first question was whether the P90DL we were to drive could simulate a non-P car but this one could not because it did not have the latest version of SW. Otherwise all went well. The windshield is certainly impressive. At 2:30 pm we were driving right into the sun but the tinting was enough to prevent blinding. I'm 6' and my wife is 5'7". We could get into the third row but we would not want to go far that way. This was a 7seat version. Otherwise seating was good, very comfortable.

There was a MS P90D present and we asked if we could test drive it. Getting in and out of it was not that much more difficult than the MX. Our impression of the new gen front seats was that they were pretty equal to the MX. We found that the motor wine, front I believe, in the MX was more pronounced than in the MS at low speed acceleration. Neither was not annoying.

What really sold both of us on the Tesla was the auto-pilot which we used when driving the MS. We drove west out of Portland up #26, four lanes climbing roughly 1,000 feet in a couple of miles, heavily traveled especially in the afternoon. With following distance set at 5 seconds, the car changed speed smoothly relative to the car in front of me. The dash displayed the cars in the lanes in front of us. As we passed a large truck in the adjacent lane that was hugging the lane line, the car moved slightly away from the truck but not out of our lane. All of this while negotiating curves. The sweep of the sonar or radar off the four corners of the car kept great track of cars that were around us.

Of course, we had to try out parallel parking. What a snap. The curb was pretty low, maybe 3" high, and still it parked fine. In heavy downtown traffic, with the distance set at 1 second, again the car worked smoothly all the time keeping up with the slow pace. Perpendicular parking is also a breeze even though it is not part of the current auto-pilot program. The image from the rear camera with the wheel trails extrapolated back from the car on the screen are really a help. No need for mirrors in that situation. I do not know about the usability of the rear camera for this situation when it is raining though.

There are plenty of people present for test drives of the MX. I think there were five MXs and an MS. In the end, we decided to change our reservation over to an MS. Hard decision but our circumstances have changed just enough to negate the need for an MX.

Just to avoid double-reporting, I believe these are the same vehicles traveling the country, right? So the previous reports of rips in Meet the X events are the same seats/rips as these ones - correct me if I'm mistaken.

That said, I do realize that two other TMCers (Marcus Adolfsson and AnOutsider) have reported damage to the white seats on their delivered vehicles. So the total is 4 UW ripped reported on this forum.

I asked this exact question. This was the first stop for 3 of the cars and two of the 3 were the ones with white interior. So make that six if the associate was right.