Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Metallic Grinding Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

My Model 3 started making a horrible metal on metal grinding noise last night. It seems like it’s coming from the rear of the car, possibly rear driver side around the tire area. Possibly tied to brakes?

My soonest service appointment is 1/23 and no mobile service was offered. I am too concerned to drive the car. Has anyone experienced this who might know what it is?

I drove in reverse and hard braked several times in the off chance it was a rock stuck in my brakes but that didnt do me any good.

video: Bragg Model 3 Metallic Grind Noise.MOV

Thank you

It could be so many things but I know the drive motors made a grinding noise but rarely failed. That is a long time to wait for service. I know this is a huge issue for Tesla right now and steers me away from buying.

It's likely a pebble stuck between the rotor and rotor dust shield. Press/flex the shield away from the rotor, and you'll likely see a small pebble fall out.

There are quite a few posts on the forum about this.
The thin metal shield on the back side of the rotor right? I squeezed it toward me all around but no dice. Assuming there is a rock in there somewhere, should I just take it on the freeway to see if i can get it to eject?

The thin metal shield on the back side of the rotor right? I squeezed it toward me all around but no dice. Assuming there is a rock in there somewhere, should I just take it on the freeway to see if i can get it to eject?

Push it away from you. Stuff gets trapped between that shield, and the rotor, so pushing it away from you should create enough space for it to fall out.