Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New suspension noise in 2016 Model X P90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lots of posts here on suspension noise in Model X, I haven't seen one already describing this. I've had pretty much nothing but trouble with my front suspension in my 2016 P90D. What I have now is a metal on metal grinding noise when moving at slow speeds (under 10 mph) and turning the wheel slightly left. It's not brakes as it happens while pressing the accelerator and stops if I come off the accelerator and let regen happen.

I'd take it in, but every time I even drive past the Tesla dealership it costs me $2500 for new suspension parts lol. If I can determine it's not a safety issue I'll deal with it, if not I'll bite the bullet...

Trace

I also have a grinding noise on my 2016 90D. It is garage kept, low mileage 34K, not driven every day. It happens when the car first starts moving with or without brakes. After a short while it stops. I have wondered if it is brakes, suspension or just tesla arthritis.... Researching to see if this is a known problem - but I'm on last year of extended warrantee so I just may take it in anyway.

WABarb your brakes just need service . the pads are mounted on a slide pin. the pin becomes covered in brakes dust, dust etc. when u use the brakes the caliper pushes brake pad toward the disk. the pad than can only return if it is able to slide on the metal guide pins. the brake system does employee any kind of mechanical system to push it away from the disk . Thus, the noise which sounds like something rubbing or steel on steell noise . thee are many youtube videos regarding brake service/maintenance

I didn’t think it was initially, but my noise turned out to be a brake issue. Unfortunately they also found a rear suspension issue, continuing my history of spending about $3k/year on keeping the wheels from falling off…

Last edited:
I also have a grinding noise on my 2016 90D. It is garage kept, low mileage 34K, not driven every day. It happens when the car first starts moving with or without brakes. After a short while it stops. I have wondered if it is brakes, suspension or just tesla arthritis.... Researching to see if this is a known problem - but I'm on last year of extended warrantee so I just may take it in anyway.
WABarb the brake disk guide pins have a build up of krud on the pins the disk is designed to slide on the guide pins . have a brake service done, not a brake job, brake service where the caliper is removed, the pins are polished/cleaned and calipher is put back on. this should be done annually