Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MIC Model 3 Rear Seat Rattle Fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just thought I'd share a fix I've found for a fault that has been annoying me and a friend on our China built Model 3's delivered in March 2021 as it's taken me weeks of trial and error. My car with the white interior was worse but either that's the white seats being different, bad luck or the fact mine has done almost 5000 miles whereas my friends has less than 1000 miles. My car has been in the Edinburgh service centre 4 times for various issues and every time I mentioned this rather annoying constant rubbing sound from the back seats whenever the car went over even the slightest bump. I made videos, took recordings and explained it in detail but it didn't help. They took the parcel shelf out, rear door cards and various other things but the noise remained. I decided to give up on them and spent some time trying to find the source of this noise myself and after a lot of trial and error I found it! The issue is because the rear seat backs are latched in the centre/inner edge yet sit right against the outer bolsters on the outer edge without a latch and thus move slightly whenever the car goes over a bump or uneven surface. As the China made cars have a slightly rougher type of fabric on the side of the seats it creates a rubbing sound against the synthetic leather on the side bolster.

For the fix; I initially tried wedging folded microfibre clothes between the seat back and side bolster and this fixed the problem but was rather unsightly. For a more permanent fix I ordered a pack of 2 adhesive felt rolls on Amazon and stuck a piece along the length of the rear seat back and another where it meets the side bolster. The noise immediately vanished and the fix is invisible when the seats are folded up. My car is now as silent as my previous 2020 US built Model 3! The adhesive seems strong enough to hold it even when the seats are folded up/down but I was still able to remove the felt (at least for now) without it leaving any marks or damage. Photos below and link to the felt rolls: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B089LR1PBS/

View attachment 668969View attachment 668970

Hope this helps anybody that has the same issue. Now just need to get Tesla service to acknowledge the constant creak in my drivers seat as felt isn't going to fix that :p
Have a 2021 MIC M3P, seems to have same issue. Under 20kms/h uneven surface (worse in reverse) creak from rear seat area. Will try your suggestion. Other than that it is as tight as a drum.

Hi guys sorry to resurrect a thread but I think we *might* all have the same issue and trying to fix the wrong thing.

China made Model 3 (2022 but likely same for 2021). I’ve been trying to find the source of an extremely annoying tapping/creaking sound with the rear seats and placing felt as original post does indeed soften the sound but its still there on harder road surfaces.

I’m happy to report (in my case) its nothing to do with the leather and side materials rubbing together (or the metal on metal latches). As seen in the photo, the U clamp metal has been rubbing against the plastic on the smaller rear seat back and wearing it away - causing the creak and tapping with movement of the car. Small triangle piece of felt has 100% fixed it! So take a look and see if anyone else has the same visible wear and sound.

F8152693-834F-4855-8002-5E96715C3FBF.jpeg

Just thought I'd share a fix I've found for a fault that has been annoying me and a friend on our China built Model 3's delivered in March 2021 as it's taken me weeks of trial and error. My car with the white interior was worse but either that's the white seats being different, bad luck or the fact mine has done almost 5000 miles whereas my friends has less than 1000 miles. My car has been in the Edinburgh service centre 4 times for various issues and every time I mentioned this rather annoying constant rubbing sound from the back seats whenever the car went over even the slightest bump. I made videos, took recordings and explained it in detail but it didn't help. They took the parcel shelf out, rear door cards and various other things but the noise remained. I decided to give up on them and spent some time trying to find the source of this noise myself and after a lot of trial and error I found it! The issue is because the rear seat backs are latched in the centre/inner edge yet sit right against the outer bolsters on the outer edge without a latch and thus move slightly whenever the car goes over a bump or uneven surface. As the China made cars have a slightly rougher type of fabric on the side of the seats it creates a rubbing sound against the synthetic leather on the side bolster.

For the fix; I initially tried wedging folded microfibre clothes between the seat back and side bolster and this fixed the problem but was rather unsightly. For a more permanent fix I ordered a pack of 2 adhesive felt rolls on Amazon and stuck a piece along the length of the rear seat back and another where it meets the side bolster. The noise immediately vanished and the fix is invisible when the seats are folded up. My car is now as silent as my previous 2020 US built Model 3! The adhesive seems strong enough to hold it even when the seats are folded up/down but I was still able to remove the felt (at least for now) without it leaving any marks or damage. Photos below and link to the felt rolls: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B089LR1PBS/

Hope this helps anybody that has the same issue. Now just need to get Tesla service to acknowledge the constant creak in my drivers seat as felt isn't going to fix that :p
What is the creak in your drivers seat?

dude-of-course-dwayne-johnson.gif

You can't imagine how happy I am that I found your thread! I got bot SAME issues:
a) rear seat rub (or something...)
b) driver seat creak.

got both service appointments (car already been 4 times in SC after 8 months of ownership and 16k miles... already ordered felt... :D and hope they will fix my seat.