Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Pilot Sport 3 Plus or 4S in CA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If your referring to the Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus its an Ultra High Performance 'All Season' tire. Its a terrific all year around tire that can handle cold weather and limited snow. The Pilot Sport 4S is a Max Performance summer tire. The differences are significant. The 4S will outperform the A/S 3 in every catagory except cold weather. The 4S should not be used in any temperature approaching freezing. Here's The TireRack info on it:

The Pilot Sport 4S is Michelin's Max Performance Summer tire developed in cooperation with some of the most demanding vehicle manufacturers, including Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Porsche to utilize key technologies engineered during competition in the 24 Hours of Le Mans. It was designed for serious drivers looking to maximize the performance potential of their sports cars, performance sedans and powerful luxury vehicles. The Pilot Sport 4S excels in warm dry and wet conditions, so like all Max Performance Summer tires, is not intended to be serviced, stored nor driven in near- and below-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.

Yes, the Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus.

In Northern California, where I live, we get less than 5 days a year in freezing weather and no snow (once in 1976, though who knows with global warming what will happen in the future). I would assume, with the limited drops below 32F, that the tire would warm quickly enough on it's own in our weather.

It seems like the 4S would be the better option all around. Perhaps tread life is significantly better in the 3 Plus?

Yes, the Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus.

In Northern California, where I live, we get less than 5 days a year in freezing weather and no snow (once in 1976, though who knows with global warming what will happen in the future). I would assume, with the limited drops below 32F, that the tire would warm quickly enough on it's own in our weather.

It seems like the 4S would be the better option all around. Perhaps tread life is significantly better in the 3 Plus?

Based on this reply you are making, is your original post supposed to read "why NOT use the 4S all year around?" The original post seems to be asking why would we use the 4S here in california year round, while your reply here seems to indicate why "not" use them all year around.

I intend to use the 4s all year around, as I have never felt the need to swap tires (and have been driving on summer run flats year round here for at least 6 years. I never had Pilot supersport 4S before the tesla, and they performed GREAT in the wet winter we had.. much better than the summer tires on my previous BMWs.

My car is garaged, so it doesnt get bellow 40 in my garage even in winter (even when outside is high 30s overnight). I am just careful when its low 40s or something when I leave in the morning during the "winter" we have here in southern california.

For here, I think its fine to have the pilot supersport summer tires year around.

Reactions: SammichLover
Yes, my question is whether I can and should use 4S tires all year round.

We've got a 4x4 SUV for real winter trips so not needed.

Anyone have a guessament on tread life for the 4S with a spirited Tesla driver (read that, floored on every start, when possible)?

Anyone have a guessament on tread life for the 4S with a spirited Tesla driver (read that, floored on every start, when possible)?

If you literally do that, you should expect less than 5k miles. I have 6k miles on mine and am about halfway through the rears (so I have rotated). I expect to get 15k out of the set. If you don’t drive like a maniac and your alignment is good, you should definitely get more than 10k.

I live in the Bay Area and have always run 4S or the equivalent on my performance cars year round. Mileage on the tires will vary widely based on how you drive and also if you get any days at 20F or below where you are (and what you do when that happens).

I own a Model 3 Performance and currently have the 4S tires. I like them but they impact significantly the range. I'm considering to swap them for Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and wondering what I should expect in term of range and road noise compared to the 4S?

One significant difference between "max performance" and "all season" tires not mentioned yet is that A/S tires tend to have a warranty whereas performance tires don't. Michelin is the exception in this case, the PS4S has a 30K warranty, the PS A/S 3+ has a 45K warranty but both are pretty low.

My personal preference is to run A/S tires (high performance ones) especially on an AWD car because they have a warranty, they last longer, they support a wider range of weather, they're cheaper, and they still offer a lot of grip. My favorite is the Conti ExtremeContact DWS 06 (which also happen to be pretty lightweight).

All that being said you can run whatever the hell you want year round in the bay area. Think about the variety of performance tires on the road every day. Do you really think the average joe BMW driver thinks about which tires to run at all? :) They just go to the dealer and get whatever the car came with.

Here is my setup on my performance 3 using the A/S 3+. Right at 18,500 miles now. Looks like 20k will be time to replace. I have driven them moderately hard (no track days) and am pleased to get 20k out of them. It’s the only tire I have had on the car, so can’t comment on the noise, but they have been great for all weather conditions and noise is acceptable. I will say they have gotten a little more noisy the last 3k or so as they have worn down like most do I’m sure. I will likely replace with another set. I would try the 4s but just too risky at times here in Oregon in the winter.

Avant Garde 19" M652 wheels, 275/35 Rear, 245/40 front - 19X9.5 ET40, 19X8.5 ET35

I'd go with the P4S in a heartbeat, they are the best tires I can imagine for the street in California, unless near Tahoe.

I got about 25k on mine before replacement, mostly commute miles and a couple of track days thrown in there for good measure. They were trash after 25k though, with steel showing.

If you keep them at relatively high pressures they really last pretty well. If you try to deflate them for track use they really don't like below 37-38 or so, and quickly chunk.

If you keep them at relatively high pressures they really last pretty well. If you try to deflate them for track use they really don't like below 37-38 or so, and quickly chunk.
I wouldn't go below that on the track, either. Turn-in starts going dead in my experience.

Also, I found running at 39-40 PSI cold is the sweet spot for the street unless range is a really big priority in the moment. Higher than that and you start getting excessive center tread wear (AKA being overinflated). Higher doesn't give you much more range, either, just a little bit.

P.S. Which also is a sign could be low enough that the sidewalls are flexing which will heat the tires and lead to faster degradation.

I wouldn't go below that on the track, either. Turn-in starts going dead in my experience.

Also, I found running at 39-40 PSI cold is the sweet spot for the street unless range is a really big priority in the moment. Higher than that and you start getting excessive center tread wear (AKA being overinflated). Higher doesn't give you much more range, either, just a little bit.

P.S. Which also is a sign could be low enough that the sidewalls are flexing which will heat the tires and lead to faster degradation.

I noticed I was getting more center treadwear with my tires at 42-44 psi, so I've dropped them down to 40.