Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 on Uberturbines- 265/35 & 275/35R21

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like this is the tire Tesla should have provided.
I have yet to own any car where I thought it came with the tire it should've... OEM tires always seem to compromise in something in the name of fuel economy / efficiency, etc. Most cars I've seen, I think come with horrible tires... In fact, whenever I help people that get stuck on our hill in the winter time, and I talk to the folks as I help them, 99% of the time the folks don't know what tires they have. It's either OEM, or whatever was "on sale" when they bought it. With that being said, knocks on wood, I have yet to get stuck on our hill in the 20 years I've lived here.

Reactions: Maximus2002
Why not up sizing? 265/40 ZR 21 & 285/40 ZR 21. The fit is good, and the ride is even better. Also, wheels are completely protected against curb rushes. IMHO, these tires look way better than the original Pirelli tires.
This makes so much sense. Definitely going this route when my Pirellis wear out if not sooner. Do they rub at all when turning or bumps?

Reactions: Maximus2002
I just ordered the following from Discount Tire, but didn't get an email invoice (but my credit card was charged):

265/35ZR-21 MICHELIN PILOT SPORT ALL SEASON 4 XL (front)
275/35ZR-21 MICHELIN PILOT SPORT ALL SEASON 4 XL (back)

After I get these delivered, where do people take their tires to get switched out? Any horror stories? Baltimore, MD here.

Can somebody more knowledgeable about tires give me some advice? I am running the OEM 21 Pirellis on the MYP in Southern California. There is very little wear. I also have very little space to store 4 tires so I'm reluctant to switch them out for the Michelins AS. I rarely get into poor weather except for trips to the local mountains during ski season (10-20 drives per year). While I would prefer to take the MYP, without all season tires, if it is snowy I would take a different car. I have auto socks for chain requirements for the MYP just in case but wouldn't plan to take it into any snow. Am I safe taking the summer tires into Southern California mountains where the weather will be less than 50 degrees but usually above 30 degrees or is this a big risk even without rain/snow? Sorry for what may be a dumb question but I've always had all season tires on an AWD with no issues in cold/snow.

Can somebody more knowledgeable about tires give me some advice? I am running the OEM 21 Pirellis on the MYP in Southern California. There is very little wear. I also have very little space to store 4 tires so I'm reluctant to switch them out for the Michelins AS. I rarely get into poor weather except for trips to the local mountains during ski season (10-20 drives per year). While I would prefer to take the MYP, without all season tires, if it is snowy I would take a different car. I have auto socks for chain requirements for the MYP just in case but wouldn't plan to take it into any snow. Am I safe taking the summer tires into Southern California mountains where the weather will be less than 50 degrees but usually above 30 degrees or is this a big risk even without rain/snow? Sorry for what may be a dumb question but I've always had all season tires on an AWD with no issues in cold/snow.

Not really, IMHO, and its the "usually above 30 degrees" that's a particular problem. Pirelli doesn't even warranty the tires below 45 degrees, and the compound is going to be hard enough at that point that it isn't going to behave like you're used to. But any unexpected snow or ice will be a real problem. The tire simply doesn't have a compound or tread pattern that can deal with those conditions and it would be very dangerous to try to drive through them.

I have similar driving conditions to you (go over SoCal mountain passes ~6 times every winter) and I think the AS4 was a no brainer.

Yeah, you don't even need precipitation to make summer tires dangerous if it's < 50 degrees outside... The tread compound will get hard... And if you continue driving on it while the tread is hard, the tread can actually break apart in chunks, resulting in permanent damage that will not be covered under warranty. Also, when the tread is hard, you will loose A LOT of grip. You can try driving carefully all you want, but all it will take is one emergency maneuver, and you will likely total your car. I've been there before... Summer tires in 45 degree weather, with no precipitation... Just morning dew... Fishtailed all over the place no matter how lightly I pressed the gas. And throw some curves in the mix, particularly while driving down a hill... That's a recipe for disaster... That's also how my neighbor wrecked his summer tire clad Audi S4 a while back... Slid his car right over a curb into a retaining wall becuase he couldn't navigate a simple curve in the middle of the hill we live on.