Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mileage after DC Fast Charging vs Home Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have searched and don't see any conversation on the topic of milage differences after DC Fast Charging (e.g. Tesla Supercharger) vs charging at home with a Tesla Wall Charger. I have noticed that I get significantly better milage in my Models S Plaid after home charging vs DC Fast Charging (e.g. 360 Wh/Mile vs 410 Wh/Mile) driving in near identical conditions. FYI - I'm comparing highway driving at 80ish mph in temps between 80-100 f.

Has anyone else experienced the same?

I have searched and don't see any conversation on the topic of milage differences after DC Fast Charging (e.g. Tesla Supercharger) vs charging at home with a Tesla Wall Charger. I have noticed that I get significantly better milage in my Models S Plaid after home charging vs DC Fast Charging (e.g. 360 Wh/Mile vs 410 Wh/Mile) driving in near identical conditions. FYI - I'm comparing highway driving at 80ish mph in temps between 80-100 f.

Has anyone else experienced the same?
80ish MPH?! there’s a man that enjoys his Tesla! I haven’t noticed any difference in my mileage supercharging vs home charging. 192wh/km when I drive. 150-170 when my wife drives. What’s the conversion to miles? 192x1.609=308wh/mile? Does that seem right?

I too had this question, because I never had the "1%" option to compare until last night.

In another thread we have determined that my 2017 Model S 60D has a 75KWH battery capped at 60KWH. More importantly I have not touched, or modified the default settings in any way. I have the unit charging to 90%, as recommended.

SuperCharging in New Hampshire from 1% or less gets me 175 miles (displayed). That's charging to 90% as stated.
Wall Charging at home in New Hampshire with a Tesla Wall Charger V3 during off peak hours gets me 200 miles (displayed) at 90%.

I'm a little baffled. I know it's a cleaner charge, but I don't quite understand it.

I too had this question, because I never had the "1%" option to compare until last night.

In another thread we have determined that my 2017 Model S 60D has a 75KWH battery capped at 60KWH. More importantly I have not touched, or modified the default settings in any way. I have the unit charging to 90%, as recommended.

SuperCharging in New Hampshire from 1% or less gets me 175 miles (displayed). That's charging to 90% as stated.
Wall Charging at home in New Hampshire with a Tesla Wall Charger V3 during off peak hours gets me 200 miles (displayed) at 90%.

I'm a little baffled. I know it's a cleaner charge, but I don't quite understand it.
I don't know but I could both agree with the fact that you're giving the battery more time to get there charge equalize.

The other factor I noticed on my 85D is that there is WAY more cooling going on at those charge levels with supercharging. At home it would just be a little water pump noise. On the supercharger it would be loud with fans, compressor etc running and it shows way more power used for the time after I start driving.