Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mileage hit not as bad as I expected changing from 19's to 21's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pleasantly surprised that my efficiency is not that much worse going form 19 in to 21 in. Over 4000 miles I was averaging 364 wh/mi on the 19 in slipstreams with the 245/45/19 tires. With 1000 miles on the staggered 21's I'm getting 277 wh/mi wrapped with 245/35/21 and 285/30/21 Pilot Super Sports so they're about 4 percent less efficient.

Reactions: dcmackintosh
364 is 31% greater than 277, that's an enormous change in the amount of energy used. How has your predicted range changed, or the battery percentage used to go 100 miles?

Edit: After reading your post again, it seems you're getting much higher efficiency with the new setup, is that correct? You probably meant 364 to 377, that would be about 4%.

Also consider the speeds. I would expect a larger hit at lower speeds, where rolling resistance is a higher percentage of the total drag. At highway speeds the aerodynamic drag will be much more significant than a relatively smaller increase in rolling resistance.

Last edited: