Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Miles instead of kWh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Under Charge Stats on the app, it shows kWh added and the savings vs gas. Is there.a way to see miles added instead? That’s a more meaningful number as far as I’m concerned. It’s what they show after a charging session and I find it more useful than having to convert from kWh.

Reactions: roberth154
KWh is an absolute measurable number that represents the energy used or added to the battery. Miles is relative to the battery management system's calculation of your car's efficiency, which can be different form car to car so it would not be a very good indicator.

I personally wouldn't put much stock into the Charge Stats portion of the application. Since for me it indicates the measurement is against $3.72 a gallon when based on current prices it is around $2.83-$2.60 a gallon. I know that it is supposed to update, but certainly good to hit the little I for the calculation details. Similar to gcardona's statement. Miles is so wildly skewed on temp, climate, throttle activity, weight in vehicle, etc. that it would be hard to factor correctly.

They are comparing the cost of electricity to the cost of gas. The only way to do that is to compare how far a given quantity of energy type (gas or electricity) will take you. How else would you do it? I’m not saying it isn’t influenced by other factors like temperature, etc, but there are lots of places that kWh is converted into miles. E.g. the cars display can show battery percentage or miles remaining, the charging session shows miles added, the industry in the US uses MPGe because distance per energy is what has meaning to people for a car.