Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Million mile battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your opinions.

when will we be able to order

what will the base range be

what will the base price be

Thank you all

There is a good chance it’ll show up in the Chinese made cars first... Panasonic would have to retool gigafactory to manufacture it, or more likely, Tesla would have to get its battery manufacturing fully up to speed first. I wouldn’t be surprised if it showed up in the S/X first and then trickle down to 3/Y a year or two later...

I wouldn’t expect being able to order for 2+ years

Doesn't matter because the car won't last that long anyway.

A year and a half ago people thought the older cars would be good for half a million miles, and now we all suffer the effects of batterygate and chargegate. I am considered lucky that my P85 still charges to 242miles service center told me some barely get 200 and supercharging rate has been slashed so badly I can't get my wife and kids to road trip in it anymore.

Put down the koolaid enjoy the car you have.

I love the car, but just have a grasp of reality. It is NOT very reliable, it is NOT going to last forever, and Tesla is not the most reliable company Elon constantly over promises, the capacity and charging rate cuts without explanation or compensation are not honest business practices.

I think the model three is a much better car then the S.... I just got my model y and there were a few issues with alignment and paint which they have been responsive about in fixing, so it is at the shop and they gave me a p85d loaner....

I don’t think it is that much quieter than the three. It’s a little quieter, but not by much. The ride is smoother, and the screen behind the steering wheel is cool.

Otherwise, the model three is much better. The cup holders in the S are too far back. The screen verticals like it is isn’t as intuitive as the y, the seats aren’t as comfortable, the seat and the center console making scrunching noises when the rub each other, I personally don’t like the self presenting doors, they are too fat. Then, the steering wheel and column is like a swiss army knife abortion...

I think if my first introduction to Tesla was a model s I’d be underwhelmed, especially considering how much they cost. My model 3 was pretty sweet though and I’m confident the model y will be as well since they are almost the same car.

Last edited:

A year and a half ago people thought the older cars would be good for half a million miles, and now we all suffer the effects of batterygate and chargegate. I am considered lucky that my P85 still charges to 242miles service center told me some barely get 200 and supercharging rate has been slashed so badly I can't get my wife and kids to road trip in it anymore.

I love the car, but just have a grasp of reality. It is NOT very reliable, it is NOT going to last forever, and Tesla is not the most reliable company Elon constantly over promises, the capacity and charging rate cuts without explanation or compensation are not honest business practices.

You must have had some bad luck. The cars will lose come ultimate capacity but the vast majority of data shows 10 to 15% even out near 200k miles. This is far better then most other EV’s and represents roughly 800 cycles on a 250 mile range. The idea of a “million mile battery” is to roughly double the useable cycles, probably to 3,000 give or take some. No one knows how the degradation will work on those but ideally it would just stretch the current pattern (or reduce it even!) which means you would have slower range loss.

Supercharging rate shouldn’t be cut that drastically in most cars. I would expect 70kW or higher which isn’t far off from the initial 120kW peak that those models shipped with. We’ll h

Has your car rusted out yet?

You must have had some bad luck. The cars will lose come ultimate capacity but the vast majority of data shows 10 to 15% even out near 200k miles. This is far better then most other EV’s and represents roughly 800 cycles on a 250 mile range. The idea of a “million mile battery” is to roughly double the useable cycles, probably to 3,000 give or take some. No one knows how the degradation will work on those but ideally it would just stretch the current pattern (or reduce it even!) which means you would have slower range loss.

Supercharging rate shouldn’t be cut that drastically in most cars. I would expect 70kW or higher which isn’t far off from the initial 120kW peak that those models shipped with. We’ll h

Apparently koolaid stops you from seeing the batterygate threads and the service center says I am lucky with the remaining range.
Since 40% is not much I am sure you will just cut Tesla a check for 40% more for every service event and purchase right. It's pretty close.

Rust isn't all that kills a car, once glass is all pitted, steering column is wobbly, electrical is spotty, seats are shot, then the suspension or brake lines need a rebuild solid bodies get sent to the bone yard.

I am a DIY kind of guy I will fix most stuff myself have owned ICE over 200k.

• Funny
Reactions: SammichLover
Apparently koolaid stops you from seeing the batterygate threads and the service center says I am lucky with the remaining range.
Since 40% is not much I am sure you will just cut Tesla a check for 40% more for every service event and purchase right. It's pretty close.

Rust isn't all that kills a car, once glass is all pitted, steering column is wobbly, electrical is spotty, seats are shot, then the suspension or brake lines need a rebuild solid bodies get sent to the bone yard.

I am a DIY kind of guy I will fix most stuff myself have owned ICE over 200k.

Maybe you are forgetting that you are currently posting in the MODEL 3 forum? "batterygate" (why the heck do people insist on putting "Gate" on the end of everything they perceive as a scandal I dont know... this isnt watergate) is an issue that model S owners are upset about and does not currently exist on the model 3. It might at one point, but the batteries are different, and my VERY VERY limited understanding of the issue is nerfing of supercharging speeds and range to (in telsas eyes) prevent battery fires.

Model 3 owners dont currently have "battery gate" so this is not applicable here other than a "it happened over here so will happen in this other product with a different battery" type thought process. I dont think any consumer car is made to go 1 million miles so I see that as more "the battery can be used after the car is no longer viable".

If the car lasts someone 10-12 years and 200-300 miles, that is way more life than most people use a car. And no, I am not drinking any "kool aid" (another thing I dont understand is why people use this term which is in reference to a cult group murder / suicide, as a "thing" to call other people). I dont think tesla is great, or bad or anything. Its a company, with an genius / madman / egotistical insane person running it, that is trying to drag the US into less dependence on dead dinosaurs for transportation.

As long as you have a car body you can change out windshields, steering columns, electrical system components, brakes, half shafts, air suspension parts, MCUs, drive units and batteries. Once a body is rusted out, flooded or in a severe wreck then the car is finished.

I think the first year S and X will outlast the Model 3 and Y in the long run as I expect people that use them for everyday driving to be rusted out piles of junk in 15 years. (I hope I am wrong)

Reactions: Perscitus
Agreed - million mile batteries and long lasting motors, drivetrains mean nothing if the rest of the car and tech a. falls apart or b. becomes antiquated.

Who would want to drive a 2017 Model 3 or 2012 Model S in 2030? Certainly not the people who bought these things back then and will be up to consuming whatever Tesla has to offer in ten years.

The million mile batteries might be interesting for robotaxis, rental companies, ride sharing services... who can milk so-equipped Teslas until they fall apart, become depricated or grow into the ground.

For a normal end-user- lighter, cheaper, quicker charging (say at least 250kW but try sustained avg 500kW until say 80% SoC) and industry standard replaceable and swapable batteries will be far more useful. Just like EVs with 400-500 mile range for $20-30K sticker price... with decent, but not neccesarily P/AWD+ level performance.

I can't wait for the era of widespread EV econoboxes. We are nearly there with base 3s/Ys dipping into $30K territory. Another $5-10K to go and done. Price parity et al.

For a retail buyer, I see no benefit of the Million Mile Battery. Just a marketing hype.

Where it would be useful is for commercial use of the cars where multiple users are driving the cars day and night. Ride sharing and taxi type service is where it might have some value.

Those batteries just give up power and storage capacity for longevity. Most retail owners would prefer longer range, quicker charging and lighter weight over longevity.

A year and a half ago people thought the older cars would be good for half a million miles, and now we all suffer the effects of batterygate and chargegate.

No. My 2013 Model S85 still charges to 97% original capacity and supercharges exactly at 90 kW peak that it did from new. No charge or battery issues here. 150000 km on ODO and made it through 7 cold and salty Canadian winters without a hint of rust.

Reactions: SammichLover