Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minimum Wheel Size With Performance Brakes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read somewhere that the performance brakes will have 14" rotors and I'm not sure how much the calipers stick out past that.

For a set of winter tires, what's the smallest wheel size that can be put on the Model 3 with those performance brakes?

I read somewhere that the performance brakes will have 14" rotors and I'm not sure how much the calipers stick out past that.

For a set of winter tires, what's the smallest wheel size that can be put on the Model 3 with those performance brakes?

There have been a few posts on this, and the consensus is 19" is the smallest. There is less than 1" of space between the caliper and the inner diameter of the rim.

Yes I did see at least one other post, but it was mostly speculation on the consensus with someone trying to measure the gap from photos.

I was hoping now that more P3D have been delivered, someone might have tried different sizes or could provide a more concrete answer.

This is what I plan on when starting to figure out my winter setup. By the way @SD_Engnr I see your sig that you took delivery! Can't wait to read your first impressions post! :)

Yep, took delivery last night. The car is amazing! Words can't describe how awesome it is. Or at least my words wouldn't do it justice. The seemingly endless torque is addicting, turn in is crisp and controlled, and it's well damped. The ride on 20s is pleasantly smooth.

Ya, looking forward to that too.

And now that I see you have the performance brakes, was your comment ("There is less than 1" of space between the caliper and the inner diameter of the rim.") something you measured? Or could you?

Ah, yes. I'm speaking relative to the performance upgraded brakes. I saw a post where someone "measured" the closest point between caliper and rim by using a quarter. The quarter barely squeezed in there. I'll see about taking some measurements when I test fit an aftermarket set of 19s.

Rim shape matters too. I have seen guys with other models run rims successfully for a few years then change brake pads(floating caliper) and have the wheel not fit with full thickness pads because of the barrel shape.. Certainly there is a minimum diameter but just because one wheel fits in a certain diameter doesn't mean all will.

Rim shape matters too. I have seen guys with other models run rims successfully for a few years then change brake pads(floating caliper) and have the wheel not fit with full thickness pads because of the barrel shape.. Certainly there is a minimum diameter but just because one wheel fits in a certain diameter doesn't mean all will.

True. Most barrels follow a similar shape/pattern, but it may be possible to find one that fits over the larger calipers. I imagine it would be time consuming to obtain this information without a whole lot of test fitting trial and error.

Reactions: SSedan
This seems to happen a lot on other cars with a big brake upgrade, sucks that there needs to be tons of trial and error.

Rim shape definitely needs to be considered, flat designs seem to be better than those concave ones, and having a little more negative offset (sticks further out by couple mm) helps

Yep, took delivery last night. The car is amazing! Words can't describe how awesome it is. Or at least my words wouldn't do it justice. The seemingly endless torque is addicting, turn in is crisp and controlled, and it's well damped. The ride on 20s is pleasantly smooth.

How was your delivery experience? Any hiccups? Fit and finish of the car upon delivery? I think those of us getting P are still from the very first batch of P3Ds... Who knows maybe Elon himself was overseeing this first crop!

How was your delivery experience? Any hiccups? Fit and finish of the car upon delivery? I think those of us getting P are still from the very first batch of P3Ds... Who knows maybe Elon himself was overseeing this first crop!

Delivery experience left much to be desired. There was a contract issue (surprise!), and it delayed us over an hour and a half. We opted to leave and more or less forced their hand to find a resolution. They did - they gave me a loaner, committed to delivering the car to our home, and did whatever they had to to get through to contracts and get a new one issued. The crew was great, though we felt like they could have provided updates at more than 30 minute intervals. I was bummed that I didn't get the traditional experience with our names on a table, photo op with the car, and the typical 'congratulations'... I did find the model car in the center console, so there's that. :rolleyes:

Fit and finish is decent, but still not what it should be after this many cars produced (or for the price IMO). They needed to adjust both fenders, headlamps, mirror trim pieces, and a minor paint blemish. There's still a due bill for a paint defect on the lower bumper trim/lip. It appears to be some deep scratches under the paint. This may require a full repaint at that location, and/or a replacement bumper cover :eek: Also, I noticed distortion through the rear window, and will need to note this.

The car driving experience itself is amazing. :DThe delivery advisor indicated that we were probably still in the top 20 of P3Ds delivered in San Diego (one other person was picking up a P3D+ in MSM/White). I see a lot of 3s around town, but outside of the test drive cars, and at the delivery center, have yet to encounter a P3D+.

Reactions: UltralightBeam