Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missing (phantom) KWh in MS P100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just finished a 187 mile road trip and averaged 247 wh/mi. Now, you may think that's fantastic for a 2016 MS P100D but... the trip was from a significantly higher elevation to a lower elevation. But here's my question; between the KWh used for the trip (46.3) and the remaining KWh left in the "tank" (46%) the total is 92 KWh on a 100 KWh pack. Does anyone know where my 8 KWh went? At that rate of loss, the total loss on a full "tank" would be 16 KWh! I did use the A/C but not on high setting. I would say moderate A/C use. Does A/C acually account for 16% of any given battery pack's capacity?

A couple comments.

First, I've not dug out the numbers for a while, but a 100 pack doesn't mean it's actually 100kWh useable. The numbers over the years were not precise, although the 100 packs did tend to be viewed as closer to actually 100 kWh (vs. my 90 pack was far from ever being a full 90kWh capacity).

The bigger issue is that your battery is roughly 7 years old, so it has experienced some amount of degradation, so even if it started at 100 kWh, it no longer has 100 kWh useable. Many cars of that age tend to show in the 6-10% degradation range. Now if you're under the impression that the battery still has it's full new capacity just because is shows 100% when it's fully charged, I'm sorry, that not correct. It's telling you that it is charged to 100% of it's current usable capacity, not that this is 100% of what it was when new.

Finally, the numbers the way you're doing them have never stacked up perfectly for me. Some of it I'm sure is some estimation/measurement error, but also seems like the kWh the car reports for me has always been a bit on the low side.

Just my two cents. Enjoy your car.

Upvote 0
To help answer your question make sure to run the Vehicle Range after your trip but before you drive again. This will give you some pretty good details. You’ll find it under the service menu for your Model S.
IMG_8369.jpeg

Upvote 0