Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MMC priority list

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2016 Model S screen has gone black a few times about a year ago. This no longer happens maybe because of a software update. I called Tesla and asked them when I could get the MMC replaced. They basically said they dont have enough units and that they could not tell me when or if I was eligible. As a by product, the general usage of the infotainment unit has grinded to a stall, very sluggish.

Has anyone been denied getting their MMC fixed? Thinking of filing a small claims case?

Any advice is appreciated.

My 2016 Model S screen has gone black a few times about a year ago. This no longer happens maybe because of a software update. I called Tesla and asked them when I could get the MMC replaced. They basically said they dont have enough units and that they could not tell me when or if I was eligible. As a by product, the general usage of the infotainment unit has grinded to a stall, very sluggish.

Has anyone been denied getting their MMC fixed? Thinking of filing a small claims case?

Any advice is appreciated.
Took my car in for the prepaid annual service today. Asked about getting it replaced/the recall- was told due to part shortage they are fixing the worst first.

I tried giving them $500 before it was free. They said mine wasn't bad enough yet. After a conversation, they admitted they didn't have enough of them to handle any but the completely dead screen. They have obviously made some more since then but are still behind. I have to admit, mine has gotten a bit better in the last 9 months and really a new MCU is what makes sense today.
Last week, a colleague went in for a new MCU and drove home with a MMC. They didn't have the MCU. She was not happy. One of the theories on the MCU price change is that it was a way of handling the MMC shortage. Well......
At some point, the entire world has a chip shortage. Not sure if that contributes to the shortage but certainly Tesla can say it does. A NHTSA complaint might be better than small claims.

I am thinking of taking them to small claims court, it is easy enough to do cost $75.

What would be the remedy you were looking for the court to provide you? There is an official NHTSA sanctioned recall in-process that Tesla is following, do you think the court is going to force Tesla to bump you to the front of the line? (When your vehicle is still functioning?)

From the recall information:
NOTE: During the initial rollout of this recall bulletin, parts will be constrained. Owners were informed the only action they need to take to address all potential safety concerns is to confirm their vehicle is running software release 2020.48.12 or a newer release, and they will receive further notification when proactive replacement parts are available

As of 4/30, the last time they had to report on the status, Tesla had remedied ~3.3% of the vehicles in the first month of the recall. (4,485 of 134,951) Hopefully they will be able to speed up the process, as at that pace it would take over 2 years to get through all of them. (The next update should be in the first part of July.)

What would be the remedy you were looking for the court to provide you? There is an official NHTSA sanctioned recall in-process that Tesla is following, do you think the court is going to force Tesla to bump you to the front of the line? (When your vehicle is still functioning?)

From the recall information:

As of 4/30, the last time they had to report on the status, Tesla had remedied ~3.3% of the vehicles in the first month of the recall. (4,485 of 134,951) Hopefully they will be able to speed up the process, as at that pace it would take over 2 years to get through all of them. (The next update should be in the first part of July.)

You must work for Tesla. Having the car shutoff while driving is pretty crappy and scary especially on auto pilot. Not sure you have experienced this. They should move much faster than 3.3% a month. What is your solution>?