Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Connector no longer included with new cars [posted 04/16/2022 - Tesla confirms adapter included with cars ordered before 04/17/22]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And yet people still keep ordering them and waiting months to get one because... it's better than all of the alternatives.
People are also waiting for Corvettes, Tundras, GR86, Nissan Zs, Mach Es, Ford Lightning, Silverado EV, Hummer EVs, etc. and many are paying way over MSRP.

Before the supply chain challenges you could order a Model 3 and have it in a week or so. I bought a 2019 SR+ and Model 3 Performance and took deliver in less than a week.

People are also waiting for Corvettes, Tundras, GR86, Nissan Zs, Mach Es, Ford Lightning, Silverado EV, Hummer EVs, etc. and many are paying way over MSRP.

Before the supply chain challenges you could order a Model 3 and have it in a week or so. I bought a 2019 SR+ and Model 3 Performance and took deliver in less than a week.
Did you see how many Mach E were sold in Q1 of this year? 5k or something like that vs 50k Ys and 50 K 3s. Nice comparison.

Oh I see but I thought legacy car manufacturers had it all figured out since they have such a great experience in manufacturing. What happened?
You realize EVs still represent a small percentage of the overall market? Outside of Tesla Disneyland most people can’t afford an entry level Tesla starting at around $50k and the prices are only going up. We still have to solve charging for a large percentage of people who do not live in a single family home with a garage and a 50 amp circuit available.

That said, if all the traditional auto manufacturers shifted their production to EVs they would all be out of business. Tesla is enjoying early mover advantage and rightfully so but let’s be real. They almost went bankrupt at one point. Tesla has their production challenges as well. How is that Cybertruck coming along? And the $39k starting price? How about that Roadster? What happened to the Model 2? Tesla’s whole auto business is pretty much based on the Model 3 and Y, which is basically the same vehicle. The traditional manufacturers will start to sell EVs alongside their ICE counterparts and wisely shift to EV at a pace that makes sense for the the business.

• Funny
Reactions: BMWM3Man
You realize EVs still represent a small percentage of the overall market? Outside of Tesla Disneyland most people can’t afford an entry level Tesla starting at around $50k and the prices are only going up. We still have to solve charging for a large percentage of people who do not live in a single family home with a garage and a 50 amp circuit available.

That said, if all the traditional auto manufacturers shifted their production to EVs they would all be out of business. Tesla is enjoying early mover advantage and rightfully so but let’s be real. They almost went bankrupt at one point. Tesla has their production challenges as well. How is that Cybertruck coming along? And the $39k starting price? How about that Roadster? What happened to the Model 2? Tesla’s whole auto business is pretty much based on the Model 3 and Y, which is basically the same vehicle. The traditional manufacturers will start to sell EVs alongside their ICE counterparts and wisely shift to EV at a pace that makes sense for the the business.
You have no clue what you are talking about. Not wasting time.

A more affordable ev would be fantastic. I would actually love the Model 2. I don't need a big EV my kids are grown so it's just me and the wife in the car.
The Mini Cooper EV was fantastic with everything but the range. for $25k after the tax credit it's cheaper than almost every ICE car.
I drive 100 miles per day so that 120some mile range with the mini just wouldn't cut it. It's a shame it's such a fun car.

I think other auto manufacturers are still way behind. They're still holding on to all of the bits that you have to make separately. Tesla keeps reducing the part count once they trim everything they can these cars will be flying out of the factory. And of course if the supply chain issues are ever resolved.
The one thing Tesla will do though is become the supply chain you already see that happening now.

• Disagree
Reactions: BMWM3Man
Oh I see but I thought legacy car manufacturers had it all figured out since they have such a great experience in manufacturing. What happened?
They do. Ford manufactures by far the highest selling vehicle in North America and that's a requirement to make shareholders happy as well as subsidize EV R&D. They just can't drop their money makers to put all their focus into the Mach-E. There's going to be a transition period that's going to take over a decade for legacy automakers but they are catching up pretty fast as the Koreans already have very attractive alternatives that do a lot of things better than Tesla while Mercedes, BMW, and Porsche are making strides in the high end segment. There's little doubt to me that Tesla is here for a good time not a long time which is why what Elon is doing makes a lot of sense as he's making as much as he can while he can.

They do. Ford manufactures by far the highest selling vehicle in North America and that's a requirement to make shareholders happy as well as subsidize EV R&D. They just can't drop their money makers to put all their focus into the Mach-E. There's going to be a transition period that's going to take over a decade for legacy automakers but they are catching up pretty fast as the Koreans already have very attractive alternatives that do a lot of things better than Tesla while Mercedes, BMW, and Porsche are making strides in the high end segment. There's little doubt to me that Tesla is here for a good time not a long time which is why what Elon is doing makes a lot of sense as he's making as much as he can while he can.
Wrong

Tesla is way ahead in every aspect of EV development.

It's relatively easy to make a low-volume EV that competes with Tesla on specs. You are right that some are getting closer to that goal.

But until Ford and the Koreans prove they can build a competitive EV at high volume there is no reason to believe that they will do anything but go out of business.

It's relatively easy to make a low-volume EV that competes with Tesla on specs. You are right that some are getting closer to that goal.

But until Ford and the Koreans prove they can build a competitive EV at high volume there is no reason to believe that they will do anything but go out of business.

Might not make sense to some but Tesla is the Rolex of EVs. Sure there are EVs that are Richard Mille and some that are TimeX but personally I wouldn't want a Timex and can't afford a Richard Mille. Until the Fords of the world and Koreans as you mentioned prove they can be Omega and Breitling there won't be much competition in my world.

Not only that but also make EVs and don’t lose money like legacy companies doing right now.

Reactions: mangrove79
Might not make sense to some but Tesla is the Rolex of EVs. Sure there are EVs that are Richard Mille and some that are TimeX but personally I wouldn't want a Timex and can't afford a Richard Mille. Until the Fords of the world and Koreans as you mentioned prove they can be Omega and Breitling there won't be much competition in my world.
Nice analogy when I was shopping for an EV I looked at Kia and Mini and finally decided that I don't want a knock-off EV I want the original. I know they weren't the first but they're definitely the gold standard right now.

What a bad % # & * ! @ + idea. Stupid. Boo. 🤬

I have a NEMA 1450 in my garage and use the cable and plug that came with my 2028 Dual Motor. 90% of my charging is at home. I have another cable and plug kit in the well of the boot which I use when visiting my son. There, I slip open the laundry room window, unplug the dryer and plug in the NEMA 1450, Gen 2 cable. 🙃

The at-home NEMA 1450 plug insulation was about $250. The Tesla "charger" is $500 or more. I got the secondary cable and plug kit for about $150 online (maybe e-bay; not sure).

Reactions: Young Phenom
Nice analogy when I was shopping for an EV I looked at Kia and Mini and finally decided that I don't want a knock-off EV I want the original. I know they weren't the first but they're definitely the gold standard right now.
I think it depends. If Toyota were to release an EV Tacoma pickup right now, I don't think many would hesitate since they have a long history of quality and reliability.