Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Connector no longer included with new cars [posted 04/16/2022 - Tesla confirms adapter included with cars ordered before 04/17/22]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up the new car. Order June 6th, a model 3 performance. Picked up in Surrey, BC, Canada. I can confirm that it did come with a mobile charger. No need to take the one from my trade in. As an aside, the car was flawless, Tesla has come a long way.
Safe to assume that your June 6th OD was this year, 2022? If so then getting a mobile charger is a "lucky draw" because my OD was 4/29/22, received M3RWD on 9/3/22 but gift in the trunk.

The main reasons to have a mobile connector are:
  • Charging while traveling:
    • At campsites and similar locations where an outlet to plug in is available.
    • At other people's houses or vacation cabins where an outlet to plug in is available.
  • Charging at home:
    • Where your garage already has a suitable outlet that you can plug into, and you do not already have a suitable EVSE plugged into it.
If none of the above apply to you, then you may not need a mobile connector.
I would add emergencies. I consider mine part of my emergency kit, safe in the knowledge that if somehow I couldn't make it to a charger I could at least find an outlet somewhere.

I would add emergencies. I consider mine part of my emergency kit, safe in the knowledge that if somehow I couldn't make it to a charger I could at least find an outlet somewhere.
Agreed. I have J-1772 plus wall charger with 120 and 240 plus, and CCS-1 adapters in the frunk just in case I ever need them. It is good to have too many options, then too few.

I don't have a garage, but have charging systems at my apartment and work (only need the converter comes together with the vehicle).

Do I really need to buy it?

For now, only situation I would probably use is when I am at campsite.

We have a NEMA 14/50 for our 2 Teslas (2021SRP and 2022LR M3's) and I love having one car on the 14/50 and one on the mobile NEMA 5–15 "trickle charging" so to say. Usually my roommate's (wife) SRP is on the 240V as it is a LFP and can be charged to 100% every time. I keep the LR M3 on the 120v charger just about every day and set the charge limit to 80%.

Remember Tesla says "plug in as often as possible"....

Or.. they're just totally inconsistent. Got a stack of MC's in the back? Run 'em until they're out! 😁
They were unofficially including them with all deliveries regardless of order date until some time in August.

If you still have an outstanding order placed before 4/28/22 and have yet to take delivery for some reason, then you could probably argue for them to throw one your way.

But any orders made after that should no longer expect to have one included at delivery anymore now or in the future.