Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 2021 not recognising music from USB-C stick

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
snip.. I would suggest that previous versions of the software allowed problematic usb sticks to still work. Those problems could have included corrupt files that can potentially case problems for the main opperating system.
The upgraded system is now catching those problems and to protect the integrity of the car they shut down the offending piece of hardware.... in this case you your usb c drive.
I doubt that is the reason. Even Tesla’s OEM usb stick which is working fine in glovebox doesn’t work in center console usb ports. It used to in my car.

Issue is that in HW3 there are two usb ports. One port for center console. The data cable plugs in to a hub that gives us the additional slots we plug in to. The updated code doesn’t handle that port correctly anymore.

Seems specific to Intel atom based hw3 & amd ryzen hw3 seems to not be affected.

I doubt that is the reason. Even Tesla’s OEM usb stick which is working fine in glovebox doesn’t work in center console usb ports. It used to in my car.

Issue is that in HW3 there are two usb ports. One port for center console. The data cable plugs in to a hub that gives us the additional slots we plug in to. The updated code doesn’t handle that port correctly anymore.

Seems specific to Intel atom based hw3 & amd ryzen hw3 seems to not be affected.
I would agree except that most 2021's and earlier do not have a problem. Some of those have commented in this thread. Also on my car 2021 the usb stick in the glovebox will not fit the usb c ports under the screen...:)

I would agree except that most 2021's and earlier do not have a problem. Some of those have commented in this thread. Also on my car 2021 the usb stick in the glovebox will not fit the usb c ports under the screen...:)
To fit your usb-a stick in to usb-c, use an adapter 😊 which supports usb 3 speeds (blue usb port interior). This is what I had been doing for 2 years to make my usb-a game controllers work in my car which has usb-c ports. I also used it for my usb-a music stick u til I got a usb-c music stick. Also used the adapter to play music off my 2.5” hard drive at one point.

In other threads, there are many now, I’ve seen many ages of model 3 & model y having the issue.

I took the USB C stick and wiped all the songs. The car continues to see the stick after a few days. I think it was a corrupt file in my case. I would guess that the glovebox (dashcam) USB that people use for music is unaffected because it is a different piece of hardware that the system sees differently and does not shut down. I will report back if my USB C continues to work with some songs on it....

2022 M3P (Nov 2021 build, with USB-C data ports.) Software 2024.14.6. Samsung BAR Plus 256 GB USB stick with music (on an Apple USB-C to USB dongle), SanDisk Max Endurance 256 GB microSD in a USB adapter for dashcam.

Dashcam works normally, saves recordings to the microSD.

USB music is not seen when dongle is plugged into either USB-C console port. This exact setup has worked in the past. Rebooting doesn't fix it.

Power off (Safety/Power off), remove the microSD adapter from glove box port and plug in the thumb drive - USB music drive is seen when powering back on by stepping on the brake pedal. Reverse the drives and dashcam works, but USB music is not seen.

I tried plugging the dongle into both my MacBook Air and my Dell Precision tower, the USB drive with music is recognized and playable on both machines.

So the Samsung USB stick is good and the dongle is good.

Either my M3P's USB-C ports/module are bad, or Tesla has (accidentally or deliberately) broken data on the USB-C ports with some of their recent software builds. I'm more likely to believe it's a software problem. If it compiles, push it!

This is a known issue to many on this forum. A few threads exist already. A few people who went to tesla service e center said they were told it is a known software bug. Getting a new usb-c module won’t help considering you verified the storage devices work elsewhere. This is what others reported too. Mine has been broken in the same manner as you describe since 1/2024. It seems Intel mcu2 infotainment are affected and not amd ryzen. The glovebox usb-c works fine. You can get a hub with usb-a and usb-c and everything works fine, that’s what I have been doing because the dash led lightstrip came with a hub by coincidence. Link to the hub is below. The hub will need one usb-a which is blue indicating it is usb 3 speed…dashcam needs that or it prints errors.

DEDC USB 3.0 Hub Compatible with Tesla Model Y/3, Tesla Glove Box Hub Docking Station for Disk Drive, Karaoke, Charger, Controller, USB, Multi-Port Data Transmission Glove Box Hub- 3 USB/1 TypeC

I thought the removal of data capabilities from the USB-C console ports happened with the switch to the Ryzen processor.

So there are Ryzen-equipped cars with functional USB-C ports, that don’t require an aftermarket module such ad one from TParts?

I believe I have woken the car by removing the charging cable before and still no USB. I will have to try the app.

I thought the removal of data capabilities from the USB-C console ports happened with the switch to the Ryzen processor.

So there are Ryzen-equipped cars with functional USB-C ports, that don’t require an aftermarket module such ad one from TParts?

I believe I have woken the car by removing the charging cable before and still no USB. I will have to try the app.
Non usb-c data capable ports happened in cars built around 12/2021. First Tesla used a non data capable usb hub but left data cable. Then they removed 1/2 the data cable, it was two connected cables if I recall correctly. Then they removed the second half. When Ryzen mcu3 computer came out it only had one usb port vs MCU 2 which had two data ports (one for center console hub & one for glovebox.).