Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 and the genius marketing idea.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regarding the Model 3...Have you considered what a brilliant move Tesla made? Pre-orders of the new Model 3 are "In Store" for the first 24h, then they will go live online. This will cause people in places like California (And hopefully many more) to stand in line to pre-order the car. The result will be an Apple launch effect and one that never happened before in Automobile history (As far as I remember). I n don't think that even Ferrari could pull that off. I doubt there're real reasons other than this. Tesla will get free publicity and press coverage...I can already see photos and videos of people in line in front of the store. Absolute genius.

teslastore.png

Totally agree with the thread premise. It will be interesting to see how logistics work out with people being at a reveal in California (I assume on the 31st). Will east coast stores opening at 9 AM get a 12+ hour jump on an evening reveal in LA? I doubt it.

Last edited:
What if everyone just orders online? Unlike an iPhone you can't leave the store with a car. Why would anyone go to the store? Wait in line to talk to the 2 reps working in the mall?

You can't order online until the day after the reveal.

And you don't choose options when placing a reservation, that's done later when you configure the car. So being there on day 1 gives you at least the option to go full config and be one of the first to receive it.

Mar 31 is going to be a fun day!

I thought about it the same way you did but then I figured it won't be the case. First of all, it's a car, so a bit pricey compared to a phone. That alone will eliminate teenagers, and that's a huge audience in Apple's case. Secondly, Tesla is not that popular outside of our realm, let alone the model 3 and its introduction.

I hope you're right and I'm wrong, because I want Tesla to be successful. Not because I invested in it and I'm losing money right now, but because of the vision and the message behind it.

I thought about it the same way you did but then I figured it won't be the case. First of all, it's a car, so a bit pricey compared to a phone. That alone will eliminate teenagers, and that's a huge audience in Apple's case. Secondly, Tesla is not that popular outside of our realm, let alone the model 3 and its introduction.

I hope you're right and I'm wrong, because I want Tesla to be successful. Not because I invested in it and I'm losing money right now, but because of the vision and the message behind it.

I'm with you on this.

They'll have to order a fully optioned car to be in the front of the delivery line. I am very curious to see what the options will be and what one will cost.

I've never understood the line standing thing. But it certainly seems to work!

it's reservation only...no options offered at reservation..you will be invited to design studio to configure your options and the fully loaded one's will be delivered first , even if you reserved late, excellent marketing strategy If you want your car early load it up , Brilliant.

DOn't underestimate it - the number of none-car oriented folks that I know that already know that the M3 is coming and that it will be cool - and they want one.
All because they can't afford a Model S but want a "real" electric car not an econobox.

I think this is way overstated. People aren't going there to buy and take home a car, like they would an iPhone.

All it is, is placing $1000 down to get a reservation. You're not getting a car until 2017 or more likely 2018.

There might be a few hard-core people in line because they think it's a big deal, but it's not going to be anything like an iPhone launch for a $300 cell phone.

50 people in front of a store would already be more than enough. It's not about taking the car home, it's about making a statement, making history! The first vehicle in history with people in queue to pre-order it will forever be electric. It's a powerful statement. Otherwise we can just let it go, not take this epic chance and let Apple do it when they unveil project Titan...But do we really want to wait for Apple or do we want for Apple to play the Samsung role for once?

I think this is way overstated. People aren't going there to buy and take home a car, like they would an iPhone.

All it is, is placing $1000 down to get a reservation. You're not getting a car until 2017 or more likely 2018.

There might be a few hard-core people in line because they think it's a big deal, but it's not going to be anything like an iPhone launch for a $300 cell phone.

I intend to take a day off of work to be at a Tesla Store on March 31.

Obviously I'm excited about the car, but I also want to maximize our chance of Federal Tax Credit.

I know the option level we decide on will be the biggest factor in when we get the car, but within the broad groupings created by option levels reservations numbers will rule.

Given the likely timing, there is a small chance that a reservation number 10,000 higher could reduce the available Tax Credit from $7,000 to $3,750 or from $3,750 to $1875.

So for selfish reasons, I want plenty of people at the store with me to make it a fun atmosphere, but I want to be first on line. :biggrin:

In the meantime, I am spending a lot of time explaining to my wife how useful the various options will be. :wink:

I think the statement with bigger impact will be when Tesla tells the media how many reservations they got for a car people haven't even driven yet. :smile:

No, the statement with the biggest impact will be when Tesla tells the media how many reservations they got for a car people haven't even seen a picture of yet - if they do open for reservations in stores before the unveiling event. :)

I'm wondering if one of the factors behind this approach is that it would give some priority to people who live in states where Tesla already has a presence (since they would have lower reservation numbers). Arranging deliveries to states like Michigan costs Tesla more than just shipping the car to a store -- this would allow them to book more revenue in the early days of Model 3 deliveries. In any event, this approach is a total bummer for me since I won't be able to take the day off work to make the drive in (unless the Cleveland store has some really extended hours that day).

I'm thinking of going by the Tesla Store in Century City. I'll attempt to resist wearing RED coveralls and a monkey suit.

conquestendsad_1200_450_81_s.jpg

For those who might not get the reference... The photo is from the movie 'Conquest of the Planet of the Apes' (1972). Quite a bit of the exterior scenes were filmed in Century City.