Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

model 3 autopilot accident in Taiwan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With an imperfect system it's better to be less aggressive about braking to reduce the impact of false positives and to reduce instances of driver inattention.

Most safety related systems are design to fail safe or error on the safe side...how's not being able to detect or respond to a stationary object in the lane of travel, safe? What I'm figuring is that if it detected too many fails positives (braked too often), people would decide it doesn't work and would not use or worse yet, not pay for it. Sounds like Smart Summons;)

If the guy is telling the truth that is beyond ignorant. I find it hard to believe that he just sat there and watched closely as it all went down. I definitely think he was distracted.
There appears to be a person on the shoulder warning the Tesla driver right about where the brake smoke appears, probably the Lorry driver. I would be interested if he caught a look at what exactly the driver was doing. I would believe his testimony more than what the driver described.

Reactions: OPRCE
Show me the list of all the situations that AP can't handle that Tesla gave to you when you bought the car?

It's in the owners manual.

Which apparently you've not bothered to read?

(and certainly this guy didn't)

it also reminds you YOU have to be responsible for driving the car, not the car, when you first activate AP at all.

And reminds you again every single time you turn the system on.

He thought it could handle this situation. He was wrong.

Right- because he didn't read the manual.

Or the numerous on-screen warnings mentioned either I guess.

Stop excusing lazy people for things that are their own lazy fault.

I have had to learn the hard way what it can and can't handle

The easy way would've been reading the manual.

, and I still think it's very sleazy of Tesla not to be very upfront on exactly what the known problems and weaknesses are with AP

I mean- they do though.

In the manual.

That you didn't read.

Remember the Enron Intelligent Network? It was about as real as Tesla's Neural Network.

You ok? The quality of your anti-tesla lies has been declining lately.

Reactions: totoro722
It's in the owners manual.

Which apparently you've not bothered to read?

(and certainly this guy didn't)

it also reminds you YOU have to be responsible for driving the car, not the car, when you first activate AP at all.

And reminds you again every single time you turn the system on.

Right- because he didn't read the manual.

Or the numerous on-screen warnings mentioned either I guess.

Stop excusing lazy people for things that are their own lazy fault.

The easy way would've been reading the manual.

I mean- they do though.

In the manual.

That you didn't read.

You ok? The quality of your anti-tesla lies has been declining lately.

Show me in the manual where they say they have determined that large white box trucks won't be detected in the road. It's not there, yet this is the second incident I have read about in the news.

Just making blanket statements in the manual that the system sucks doesn't tell you what situations it sucks in and what situations it can handle. We are all having to experiement and learn on our own or by reading in the news or forums.

Too bad fanboys (not you of course, because I would never personally attack you like you attack me) are not intelligent enough to understand what I am saying.

• Informative
Reactions: OPRCE and SlimJim
Show me in the manual where they say they have determined that large white box trucks won't be detected in the road. It's not there

Seriously dude-you have clearly never read the manual.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

Page 85 lists a slew of warnings and limitations. Including THIS one

Owners manual said:
Never depend on these components to keep you safe. It is the driver's responsibility to stay alert, drive safely, and be in control of the vehicle at all times

If you crash into a box truck clearly visible for hundreds of feet in front of you- you are an idiot who did not read, follow, or understand basic directions.

Further warnings this guy (and I guess you) didn't read, understand, or pay attention to may be found on:

Page 87

Owners manual said:
Never depend on traffic-aware cruise control to adequately slow down Model 3. Always watch the road in front of you and be prepared to take corrective action at all times. Failure to do so can result in serious injury or death

Page 91

Owners manual said:
Never depend on Traffic-Aware cruise control to adequately slow down Model 3 to avoid a collision. Always watch the road in front of you and stay prepared to take immediate corrective action

Page 97

Owners manual said:
Warning: Navigate on Autopilot may not recognize or detect oncoming vehicles, stationary objects

It'd be idiotic for them to say "it may not recognize stationary objects" and then expect them to provide a complete list of every possible stationary object.

If the general case is beyond your understanding a 27 page list of possible objects won't help you.

Just making blanket statements in the manual that the system sucks doesn't tell you what situations it sucks in and what situations it can handle.

I mean- it literally does.

It tells you, over and over, that in every situation ever the driver must pay attention and be ready to take over at any time.

It gives numerous general things the system might fail to handle (including stationary objects (of which an overturned truck is, obvious, one of) and insures you're aware you are responsible for the driving task not the car.

Continuing to blame something other than the driver is continuing to ignore the facts.

Too bad fanboys (not you of course, because I would never personally attack you like you attack me) are not intelligent enough to understand what I am saying.

I think a lot of folks understand what you're saying.

Which is why we're pointing out it's factually untrue.