Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

model 3 autopilot accident in Taiwan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And yet Tesla sells the features under the "Full Self-Driving" heading.
Not that it would have made any difference, but do we know if the driver in the video had FSD or just basic AP? I'm sure the $7k upgrade wouldn't have helped in this scenario, but really the person behind the wheel must have been asleep or on their phone. There was plenty of time to manually change lanes or manually stop the car had the driver been looking forward.

Not that it would have made any difference, but do we know if the driver in the video had FSD or just basic AP? I'm sure the $7k upgrade wouldn't have helped in this scenario, but really the person behind the wheel must have been asleep or on their phone. There was plenty of time to manually change lanes or manually stop the car had the driver been looking forward.

There's an article where he was interviewed. He thought surely the car was going to stop. In other words, he trusted Tesla. Big mistake. You can see in the one video that he is pacing the car next to him and his car did not slow down. That smoke looks much more like dust left on the road from the overturned truck than tire smoke.

• Funny
Reactions: OPRCE and jonquiljo
There's an article where he was interviewed. He thought surely the car was going to stop. In other words, he trusted Tesla. Big mistake. You can see in the one video that he is pacing the car next to him and his car did not slow down. That smoke looks much more like dust left on the road from the overturned truck than tire smoke.

If the guy is telling the truth that is beyond ignorant. I find it hard to believe that he just sat there and watched closely as it all went down. I definitely think he was distracted.

There's an article where he was interviewed. He thought surely the car was going to stop. In other words, he trusted Tesla

No, he trusted what he THOUGHT Tesla says, instead of what they actually say in the feature description, the owners manual, and the car screen every time you activate AP.

That the driver is always responsible and the car does not drive automatically.

T
. Big mistake.

Yes- making up your own concept of how the car works without reading any of the numerous examples of more accurate info, and then relying on your imagination instead of facts, IS a big mistake.

Reactions: OPRCE and Runt8
There was a time when car manufacturer's couldn't put "beta" software or hardware on cars using the general public as testers and neural net trainers. Fanboys like me embrace the challenge, but the general public isn't ready for "Autopilot" and "Full Self Driving" that isn't those things.

No, he trusted what he THOUGHT Tesla says, instead of what they actually say in the feature description, the owners manual, and the car screen every time you activate AP.

That the driver is always responsible and the car does not drive automatically.

Yes- making up your own concept of how the car works without reading any of the numerous examples of more accurate info, and then relying on your imagination instead of facts, IS a big mistake.

Show me the list of all the situations that AP can't handle that Tesla gave to you when you bought the car?

He thought it could handle this situation. He was wrong. I have had to learn the hard way what it can and can't handle, and I still think it's very sleazy of Tesla not to be very upfront on exactly what the known problems and weaknesses are with AP instead of just making a blanket statement, "it's all on you, bud, good luck!"

Remember the Enron Intelligent Network? It was about as real as Tesla's Neural Network.

Lady sued McDonalds for spelling hot coffee on her lap. Claimed that she was never notified that it was hot and burns could have resulted by spilling it on her crotch.
Actually the real story is McDonalds had done marketing studies and found that overheating the coffee produced more coffee smell and improved sales. Heated it to beyond drinking temperature. Facts here: "Know the Facts:" Resources for Consumers

Some more facts to know. According to the National Coffee Association " Your brewer should maintain a water temperature between 195 to 205 degrees Fahrenheit for optimal extraction. Colder water will result in flat, under-extracted coffee, while water that is too hot will also cause a loss of quality in the taste of the coffee."

This was not McDonalds overheating coffee, but brewing the best tasting coffee they could, and following normal brewing recomendations. The 'overheated coffee" is a myth.
Lawyers played on the emotions of the everyday jurors. They found both parties guilty but gave a huge judgement to "punish" McDonalds.

Last edited:
I understand that the driver is always responsible and in this case the driver is at fault.

But I still cannot understand why Tesla programmed the collision avoidance assist to apply the brake only enough to slow down and minimize the impact instead of bringing the car to a complete stop when collision is imminent.

Reactions: OPRCE and TLLMRRJ
I understand that the driver is always responsible and in this case the driver is at fault.

But I still cannot understand why Tesla programmed the collision avoidance assist to apply the brake only enough to slow down and minimize the impact instead of bringing the car to a complete stop when collision is imminent.

Because it's far from perfect.

With an imperfect system it's better to be less aggressive about braking to reduce the impact of false positives and to reduce instances of driver inattention.