Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 battery drain / range loss while sitting ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If someone was to buy a Model 3 performance without having charging readily available at home (condo strata issues) ..and you drive maybe 500kms / 300 miles a month.

How much range would it lose just sitting in a garage or underground parking ? (I'm assuming it would be the same for a performance and the regular as the battery is the same

Wondering if it is feasible to Supercharge only once a month, with sporadic other L2 charging where found.

FYI, there seems to be a lot of people in these forums that don't accept your kind of situation.

Im in the same sort of setup (no charging available but will drive it more than you). It's probably the one downside of electric cars that they have a "leaky tank", but I think it's nice to have a reason to drive it every once and awhile so it doesn't sit for a month or more without movement (how sad!!)

There's no "sleep mode" to make it consume less than 1% per day because it uses energy to maintain the battery, maybe one day they'll enhance it but doubtful.

FYI, there seems to be a lot of people in these forums that don't accept your kind of situation.

Im in the same sort of setup (no charging available but will drive it more than you). It's probably the one downside of electric cars that they have a "leaky tank", but I think it's nice to have a reason to drive it every once and awhile so it doesn't sit for a month or more without movement (how sad!!)

There's no "sleep mode" to make it consume less than 1% per day because it uses energy to maintain the battery, maybe one day they'll enhance it but doubtful.

I was chatting with a guy at a local EV car show here, and there was apparently discussions with the Provincial government here about implementing "right to charge" legislation - meaning that a strata could not stand in the way of you installing an ev charger. It basically eliminates these dinosaurs from the equation.

Would love to -- but strata / condo situation means they freak about this stuff....They're stuck in 1982.

Then you might have to enlist the help of a neighbor, condo maintenance person, etc. to periodically plug in for you while you are away.

The battery can’t maintain a charge indefinitely.

Even plugging in for an 8 hour work day or over the weekend once every couple of weeks should keep it going for a rather long period of time.

You may wish to calculate what the daily cost of electricity is to maintain a (trickle) charge on a fully charged EV battery when it is plugging into a 15 amp 120V residential circuit. It is probably pennies a day. Present this to a condo association and they should find it to be an insignificant amount.

You may wish to calculate what the daily cost of electricity is to maintain a (trickle) charge on a fully charged EV battery when it is plugging into a 15 amp 120V residential circuit. It is probably pennies a day. Present this to a condo association and they should find it to be an insignificant amount.

The only problem with what your saying Len905, is that it makes sense. And condo boards/ stratas typically don’t like things that make sense!

They come back with rebuttals like - we’ll if we let you do it, then everyone else will want to do it ( there are no Evs in my strata), or it costs $150 to fill up my gastank every week so that means you are using $150 in electricity - No matter how much math I do and show them

The trouble with common sense is ....... it’s just not that common