Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 has no spare tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
His mistake was trusting Tesla to take care of his flat tire in a reasonable and timely manner. I guess everyone here thinks that makes him an idiot. People who follow this forum know that you're best dealing with a flat yourself but people coming from other brands may expect more I guess.

Eh, all seem to have complaints.

Top 402 Reviews and Complaints about OnStar. $250/year
What to Consider When Buying a Roadside Assistance Plan
BMW Roadside Assistance | Complaints | Better Business Bureau® Profile
Mercedes Roadside Assistance - Downtown - Los Angeles, CA

Reactions: jumper4000
Soooooo...you’ve made 163 posts on a forum for a car you cancelled? Weird. As has been mentioned many, many times... It’s possible to buy a universal or Hyundai spare (both donuts) for the 3 (or any other car for that matter). You can buy two. It does take planning and initiative. It also means occasional maintenance on the spare, easy but takes planning and initiative. Without planning you 1) Have no wrench and 2) Don’t have the spare parts needed to turn with said wrench. OP is being lambasted for whining about a situation that he had 100% control over. If you don’t want to wait, buy a spare. If you’re going somewhere remote consider a spare. My Jeep went to remote regions so I had two parallel batteries, engine driven air compressor, welding rods and mask, spare tire, spare axles, bits of rubber hose, and a decent tool kit. None of that is in the 3- she has UMC, extension cord, Tesla tire repair kit, flares, first aid kit, jumper cables, and basic tools. It’s nuts to me to hear grown men whine about their poor planning and blaming everyone else for their error. Suck it up, Buttercup, and learn from your mistake.

My only mistake was to think Tesla's service is a good as Mercedes, but it's not even close. Not even 1%. Mercedes has its own 24 hour fleet of cars to help customers and I've NEVER had them take more than 30 minutes to get to me... I'll be better prepared next time.

Also, I think you're a little bit over prepared. I wonder what your home earthquake/disaster preparedness kit looks like. Do you have like 3,000 cans of beans, 17,000 bottles of water, and 8,000 blankets laying around the house, just in case there's an earthquake or hurricane or whatever u got going on in your neck of the woods??

His mistake was trusting Tesla to take care of his flat tire in a reasonable and timely manner. I guess everyone here thinks that makes him an idiot. People who follow this forum know that you're best dealing with a flat yourself but people coming from other brands may expect more I guess.

Thanks, man. Look like you're one of the few reasonable people here on these forums.

• Funny
Reactions: T34ME
U live in Inland Empire?? Lucky you, your house must be cheaper than your Model 3
House? I live in my model 3, that's all I can afford! Gotta a frunk full of dumpster dive victuals. It is sitting on blocks right now because somebody out here in the middle of somewhere stole the wheels and tires in the middle of the night during a pathetic freakin downpour. It's freakin pathetic Tesla didn't include four spare tires! I have been waiting for a freakin month for a freakin Tesla tow truck. You think you have pathetic problems!?

I like you Jumper, you make me laugh!

• Funny
Reactions: PACEMD and Trevor B
Maybe I am getting old, but if I had a flat tire AND an available spare tire in the trunk I still would call road assistance rather than replacing a tire in pouring rain. $0.02 worth.
But would you wait 3.5 hours to have your car towed, get a ride back home, return to the service center the next day, and wait around there instead of spending 10 minutes in the rain?

But would you wait 3.5 hours to have your car towed, get a ride back home, return to the service center the next day, and wait around there instead of spending 10 minutes in the rain?

I learned to change a tire way back in driver’s ed class many years ago. My dad also had me change one on my car before going to college so he knew I knew how. As I recall cars also came with jacks and a tire iron? Dad made me carry a few cans of oil in my car and an oil spout and a rag. Also some carburator spray, remember you used it on some butterfly part. I did add oil to my car over the years. However I had several flats and, no, I never changed another tire after my “tire education”. And no way would I even want to attempt doing so in the rain even if it wasn’t at night.

Last edited:
Maybe I am getting old, but if I had a flat tire AND an available spare tire in the trunk I still would call road assistance rather than replacing a tire in pouring rain. $0.02 worth.

Even if you had to wait almost 2 hours for them to even answer the service call, and wait 3.5 hrs for them to get to you, and then them telling you they don't have a loaner tire anywhere in town (LA, mind you), and that you had to wait for a flatbed tow truck to take your car overnight, and that you had to find alternate transportation home, and that you had to Uber to work the next day, and that you had to wait almost 24 hours to get your car back????? That was my experience with Tesla's ridiculous solution to not having a spare tire. Looks like a lot of u would rather deal w that nonsense than to spend 10 minutes to change ur own tire, which is kinda odd if u ask me.

• Funny
Reactions: Ronmoll and T34ME
House? I live in my model 3, that's all I can afford! Gotta a frunk full of dumpster dive victuals. It is sitting on blocks right now because somebody out here in the middle of somewhere stole the wheels and tires in the middle of the night during a pathetic freakin downpour. It's freakin pathetic Tesla didn't include four spare tires! I have been waiting for a freakin month for a freakin Tesla tow truck. You think you have pathetic problems!?

I like you Jumper, you make me laugh!

Forget about them stealing ur tires, my bigger question is, how do u even have a Tesla in Inland Empire? From what I hear, u guys don't have running electricity over there yet. How do u charge ur car? Do u have a coal-powered turbine in ur backyard that does the job? I wonder which one'll get there first, the city bringing u running electricity or Tesla bringing u new tires

• Funny
I learned to change a tire way back in driver’s ed class many years ago. My dad also had me change one on my car before going to college so he knew I knew how. As I recall cars also came with jacks and a tire iron? Dad made me carry a few cans of oil in my car and an oil spout and a rag. Also some carburator spray, remember you used it on some butterfly part. I did add oil to my car over the years. However I had several flats and, no, I never changed another tire after my “tire education”. And no way would I even want to attempt doing so in the rain even if it wasn’t at night.
I would never have realized how common your opinion is if I didn't join this forum. I guess I hang around engineers all day and I built my own car so this is all kind of blowing my mind. :eek: Teslas forums definitely have a different demographic relative to other car forums!

Regardless of how you do it, you still need to go to the service center and wait around while they patch or replace it (or come back later).

Flats are something I've had to deal with ever increasing intervals (meaning I hardly ever get a flat anymore) now that I don't let my tires get low on air, avoid debris on the road, refuse to run tires with low profile sidewalls and always buy high quality shoes for my car. I think the last time I had a flat was 1997. And to think that for the first 5 years of the last 21 years I was driving around with a full-sized spare everywhere i went. What a waste.

So, if I get a flat I'll just call for assistance and deal with it. It's not like it happens every other year! And with a tire pressure monitoring system, if I pick up a nail or screw, chances are I'll know about it before it's too flat to drive to a gas station.

Reactions: Dana1
. :eek: Teslas forums definitely have a different demographic relative to other car forums!

Oh, I've defintely changed a number of flats in another life, remember bias ply tires? On one 6 week trip I had 4 flats, all from cactus thorns. I've had a blow-out from under-inflation and a cheap tire that simply self destructed, and other examples going back over 40 years, it used to happen a lot. Not so much anymore. Anyone notice how the car on the side of the freeway with the flat is almost always a ricer with stupid-low profile tires? Or an old beater with ancient tires, maybe even mismatched? Sure, you can always pick up a screw or nail even with the most kosher setup but 9 times out of 10 you can just drive it to the tire shop before the air has a chance to leak all the way out.

I'm of the same kind of demographic as you, until that is, tires got really reliable and cell phones are everywhere. Now I think it's silly to spend the money and space hauling around heavy equipment that typically never gets used for the 10-15 years that I'm going to own the car. I can rent a car in a flash (if necessary), call Uber, call a friend, call roadside asistance, etc. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

I think it's silly to worry about it when I know I can deal with it just fine (and that's assuming it's going to happen).

Reactions: Dana1