Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - L2 charging speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

Curious to know how many miles I get for every 1 hour charging at L2 stations.

Based on figures posted at tesla website and looking at L2 output (say chargepoint) of 7.2kw @ 30A, i'm calculating 30mph. Is this a correct estimate

Wall Connector

https://www.chargepoint.com/files/datasheets/ds-ct4000.pdf

The charge point can deliver at 7.2kw @ 30A and tesla site says at this output, i should get 30mph

I placed an order for MR M3, estimated 260 miles. Some days i drive close to 140 miles and i get to charge at L2 stations for 2-3 hours max. I also live in chicago and have to account for winter range loss. Starting at 90% charge and assuming a worst case winter loss of 40%, i am left with 140 miles. But if i get a min. 2 hours charging from a L2 station outputting 7.2kw @ 30A, i should be left with 60 miles of range.

I've noticed that most public chargers (usually chargepoint) only operate at about 5.7kW which usually gets me about 21 mi/hr of charge. May be different since I'm in SoCal, but I think most of the time they're similar. The max of the chargepoints here is 6.6kW but I've never gotten that amount. I usually charge at a chargepoint down the street from my work for about 4 hrs and get 85 miles most of the time.

I've noticed that most public chargers (usually chargepoint) only operate at about 5.7kW which usually gets me about 21 mi/hr of charge. May be different since I'm in SoCal, but I think most of the time they're similar. The max of the chargepoints here is 6.6kW but I've never gotten that amount. I usually charge at a chargepoint down the street from my work for about 4 hrs and get 85 miles most of the time.
This is because most are on commercial power circuits which are 208V rather than 240V, and in practice are usually no more than 200V, sometimes less. Are they undersizing the wiring? It’s a recurring problem.

This is because most are on commercial power circuits which are 208V rather than 240V, and in practice are usually no more than 200V, sometimes less. Are they undersizing the wiring? It’s a recurring problem.

This would definitely make sense as the avg voltage output is ~191V with 30amps pull. That's for level 2 chargers. I get >30mi/hr on Tesla Destination chargers though because it averages 208V with 40A. But the only destination charger by me is in one of the busiest malls in SoCal so it's hit or miss with only one spot.