Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 limiting charge current / not playing well with Emporia excess solar only charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2023 Model 3 RWD, Emporia EVSE and Emporia Vue. It all started well a month ago - Emporia regulating the amount of current going into the car to match excess solar power during the day. So e.g. around 9am, Emporia would turn on when excess solar hit 6 amps (~1.4kW), then gradually ramp up to 18 amps, then start winding down in late afternoon till it shut off when excess solar power dropped below 6A again.

However, I noticed one problem (described below). It would come and go, but wasn't enough of a concern. Unfortunately, it has become a permanent state of affairs as of last week:

In this problem mode, Tesla limits the current draw to a lower number, like 5 to 8 amps. I can manually raise it in the Tesla app or in-car to a higher amount, but even then it eventually reverts back to the lower draw (5 to 8A). In this mode, it ignores the "change charge rate" messages that Emporia EVSE is sending Tesla (to match excess solar, which can be as high as 18 to 20A).

I have been working with Emporia engineers for the past 2 weeks. They have looked at the diagnostics and are convinced that the problem is not on their side. They seem to know what they are doing. They think that Tesla is ignoring/overriding their commands. I have looked everywhere but can't find any setting in the car or app to work around this.

I know Emporia with excess solar only charging is a niche setup, but I'm hoping that someone on this forum has some insight on it.