Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 long range vs performance query

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure that isn't true of the P too?

This Top Gear comparative test (against ICE) has the M3P all over the place going through the cones ... still 1/2s quicker than its rivals though :)
It is a common complaint, the seats aren't buckety enough for the performance, but a) my wife prefers them and b) the suspension package on the p+ might help in comparison.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Pity about the 18" wheels still seeming to be a bit hard. I opted for them in the hope that the ride quality on our predominately narrow and pretty poor lanes would be better than the bigger wheels with the lower profile tyres.
I'm sure it's a better ride than the 20's (my test drive was on good roads so didn't get to test myself), but yes it doesn't absorb bad roads like some cars unfortunately. Lovely on good roads of course! I've dropped my tyres to 40psi to improve a little.

I was using chill mode for family driving at first, until I needed to join a dual carriageway from a service station, and totally forgot I was in chill. Was a little scary not having the pick up I expected, and now I just modulate my foot (very easy fortunately!)

The AWD is indeed exceptional. Very confidence inspiring, and I find I make good progress because of it even when driving slowly.

It is a common complaint, the seats aren't buckety enough for the performance, but a) my wife prefers them and b) the suspension package on the p+ might help in comparison.
Agree about the seats, even in an LR. I also find the vegan leather very slidey, actually think a cloth finish or cloth sides would help a lot. I would like softer head rests too :rolleyes:

I just hope the model Y has an option for air suspension.

Reactions: Glan gluaisne
I went Performance and love it.

Ride is fine, way better than a BMW Z4 on run flats I used to drive. Seats are great and in a different league to my prior model S75, which also helps with ride.

Yep bit noisy but really doesn’t bother me.

Overall - it’s a total blast to drive; to me feels like a Mini Cooper S I used to have crossed with a Model S. Really planted, tons of torque, go-cart feel. :cool:

Reactions: Roy W.
The fact your even asking this shows something is up when comparing the AWD and P cars.

There isn't a single combustion car I can think of where a car that can pull away so easily on a 0-60 run gets pegged so badly by time you get to 60mph+.

Going from a 100bhp to 200bhp car gets you quicker 0-60 times, up to 300bhp and the difference is how quickly 80-100mph arrives, 400bhp and your playing with the big boys at three digit acceleration figures which is where you really need BHP to show a difference and pull away.

A car like the P Model 3 *should* be walking away from the AWD version at 60mph given the massive 0-60 difference, almost regardless of SOC. The fact it cannot tells you Tesla is fiddling with power figures some where, either the AWD is been limited or the P is.

For UK public roads usage I would say 300bhp is more than enough, anything more than that and your chance of lossing your licence/causing a horrific crash is pretty high.

Its not uncommon for people to do 50mph on the Mways - like a Leaf driver, you can easily end up with a closing speed of 70mph+ if your in a car with 400bhp with AWD and not even realise, add in a bit of standing water and slight curve and you have a recipe for disaster.

But forget road safety for a second, I don't even dare our 75D X at full throttle on the Mways for more than 10 seconds for the sake of my license, unmarked police cars, fixed cameras, speed camera vans, even some do gooder with a dash cam can get you in trouble far too easily.

Power and torque. A modern EV drive motor generally has a maximum torque output and a maximum power output, and can usually pretty much run at 100% torque until it hits the power limit, and nearly 100% power from there on.

I don't think there's any difference in the battery packs between the AWD and P cars - which means they have the same power limit imposed by the pack.

The P is able to deliver far more torque with the performance motor (I don't think it's entirely clear how much of that is harder and how much is programming yet - there's been a long thread about it collecting rear motor part numbers...)

So the P can get to the power limit faster, but then they both have the same total horsepower. That's the way the RWD S was, too. Ludicrous cars get more power across the board, though.

Sharing the power limit but not the torque limit will produce exactly the observed behavior - in the low rpm regime where neither car can deliver the full battery output, the higher torque car is massively faster. Then it hits the power limit, and is becomes progressively less faster until the lower torque car hits the power limit, after which they are basically the same (and states of charge and tire rolling resistance will influence the result there.)