Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RWD vs Long Range Comparison

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A RWD/long range matched-trip energy efficiency/range comparison. Will probably help sell some RWD versions with his enthusiasm for the Model 3. Never mind the RWD qualifying for EV rebate (here in WA) while the LR doesn't.

Of course, some of us still went for the LR version after a decent head/heart/wallet tussle

A RWD/long range matched-trip energy efficiency/range comparison. Will probably help sell some RWD versions with his enthusiasm for the Model 3. Never mind the RWD qualifying for EV rebate (here in WA) while the LR doesn't.

Of course, some of us still went for the LR version after a decent head/heart/wallet tussle

With us in Australia those 120km can make a big difference.

Reactions: Vostok
What I really like about Tesla's offerings is the simplicity of model selection. Two or three versions of the car, all suited specifically to different demographics and/or target audience. A few more options to customize and you're done.

When I optioned the last Mercedes, it was simply overwhelming with model selection and then "options" and then "packages" and then various individual options. You could have some packages with some options or would be forced to choose a completely different "bundle" if you wanted something specific. Just maddening experience.

Reactions: moa999 and Jules22
What I really like about Tesla's offerings is the simplicity of model selection. Two or three versions of the car, all suited specifically to different demographics and/or target audience. A few more options to customize and you're done.

When I optioned the last Mercedes, it was simply overwhelming with model selection and then "options" and then "packages" and then various individual options. You could have some packages with some options or would be forced to choose a completely different "bundle" if you wanted something specific. Just maddening experience.
Hopefully makes resale/trade-in simpler too, with value easier to understand.

Mercedes EV models in australia have gone away from the options path. They now offer around 3 models (base, mid, and AMG) with limited choices specifically exterior colour, interior colour, dash type, and wheels. Most EV’s in Australia (other than porsche) are heading down the package route.

• Informative
Reactions: MikeChicago
Ha! The best option I'm aware of on any EV is the $2,000 Tesla charge to upgrade the performance of the LR versions. Absolute rip-off because it's nothing more than a software adjustment. Do you think that will increase value at resale time?
Having sold a model S last year with various options, it was an interesting exercise to log all comparable cars for sale and see what options they had, what the asking price was, how long they had been on the market and how many times they reduced it. This is all available on carsales and it was my method of getting my price right at the start, plus a bit for negotiating. I concluded that basic model S without any options sold for marginally less than those with advanced autopilot, and FSD made no difference (although one seller was trying $40k over market rate with fsd selling the future robotaxi etc and had been doing so for 6 months). Also of no difference was wheels or sound system. Curiously FSD owners all started very high but gradually reduced to advanced autopilot prices. There was no evidence that a particular colour was harder to sell. As they were all the same age items like warranty, free supercharging, and free internet were not differentiators. The noticable thing for me was the refusal of sellers to do anything but provide standard bad angle unemotional pics, and the bizzare action of trying to sell standard tesla mechanical features (which any buyer would have already researched) rather than lifestyle and emotion.
So in relation to your question, no I dont think you will recover your 2k, just as I didnt rever the cost of my 21” wheels.

Agree, no issue with them having hardware in place that they can then activate via software update. Makes sense for them finanically if they have a common motor they can install rather than having different versions in many cases.

If you want the extra performance you pay for it, if you don't then there's nothing to complain about.

Reactions: RichardV and paulp