Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Maine Home Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Visited the Natick, MA showroom last Saturday for the first time and ordered a 2018 inventory LR AWD Model 3 on the spot Left that day with my VIN# in hand and was under the impression I'd be picking up my car in Dedham, MA in 4-5 days max even though I made them aware that I'm a Maine resident. Get home that day and do some reading and learn that Massachusetts sales tax will complicate the process and require that I have a home delivery. I would think that the folks in Natick would be aware of this, but fine - thinking this might add a couple days to the process and the added headache of having to wait for title paperwork before I can drive the car. Car was paid in full as of this past Wednesday and my account page reflected a 3/25 delivery which I could live with. I check my account this morning and my VIN# has been removed and my delivery has been moved out to 3/31. Should I be concerned that they gave my car to someone who was able to pick the car up in Dedham or am I over reacting?

Congrats! I know the extra days are going to be somewhat frustrating. But with production rates better than what they were when I ordered, your order-to-delivery timeframe is still really fast in comparison.

On your question. Hard to say. I wouldn't necessarily worry about it. Might have decided that particular VIN'd car would go to a readily accessible buyer and are matching you up with one coming a bit later now. I've heard of something like that happening in the past with other Model 3 orders. Someone could have realized the logistic issues requiring a home delivery and additional paperwork time is needed. Sometimes it makes sense for them to get cars into the hands of a buyer as soon as possible since storage space is hard to come by for many delivery centers. Also possible they couldn't line up a driver for delivery by that first date. Sometimes a car can come off the train/carrier and be damaged and get pulled or other issues could have arisen. They don't like to list a VIN until about a week or less out. I am sure they will be wanting to get your configured car to you before the end of the month.

Since you said your car was paid for already, was this through a lender or was it a cash purchase? If lender, getting a different VIN could complicate paperwork. Not sure about car insurance where you are but here in Calif. we just had to call our agent within I think 3 days with the info specifics on the car.

Thanks for the encouragement. My issue with them giving away my VIN like you said is that the car is paid in full through my lender, and I would literally have to re-submit a loan application and re-do all the paperwork with the bank. I would hope that they'd be wise enough not to do that as it seems like bad business. E-mailed my advisor twice yesterday but radio silence. Will need to get someone on the phone today to hopefully ease my nerves.