Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3+ Max charging rate compared to LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. Re the model 3+. I have watched various videos on YouTube showing some impressive charge rates on the model 3 both on V3 and V2 Superchargers. I never paid attention to it before but I am assuming that they must be all long range as the model3+ indicates a max charge rate of 100 KW on the website and the LR indicates a max charge rate of 250 KW. Do I have this right?

Obviously not an owner so speak slow and use small words as I am not a Tesla expert. :).

Thanks.

I am assuming that they must be all long range as the model3+ indicates a max charge rate of 100 KW on the website and the LR indicates a max charge rate of 250 KW. Do I have this right?

At the moment, the Model 3 SR+ has a maximum charge rate of 100 kW, regardless of V2 or V3 Supercharger. It's been theorized that given the size of the battery compared to the LR (50 kWh to 75 kWh), it should be capable of a faster rate (up to 120 kW on V2 and up to 170 kW on V3).

My theory is that since the 50 kWh pack is so new, Tesla is playing it safe with charging rates while they gather some real world data on how it performs. Once they're comfortable, they may choose to software-unlock the faster rates.

• Informative
Reactions: Webeevdrivers
Yes, you may want to look at the graphs here: V3 Supercharging Profiles for Model 3

For max charge rates, the battery needs to be preconditioned (using nav), have a very low state of charge, and be at the V3 supercharger (of course).

P.S. for having 1,200+ posts, how are you not an owner or expert yet?? :D

Thanks for the info. Yah guilty as charged. Love all things Tesla and the direction it is taking us. My wife and I both drive EV’s. Her a smart ED and me a 2016 Leaf SV. We came close to deciding on a 3 but for a few reasons that are edge case to us we actually ordered a 2020 Leaf Eplus SL which should be here in March. However I try to be up on all the Tesla products as I am constantly trying to sell them to folks. In a couple years we’ll probably replace the second car with a model Y. Until then i’ll continue to enjoy this board and watch the company grow.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSP and byeLT4
For max charge rates, the battery needs to be preconditioned (using nav), have a very low state of charge, and be at the V3 supercharger (of course).

Of course? Or not!
If he’s asking about the Sr+ it will NOT need to be at the v3 supercharger to hit the 100kw rate. Also I don’t believe that the preconditioning is necessary for an Sr+ to hit 100kw on v2.

Your point about low Starting battery charge is important though.

• Informative
Reactions: Webeevdrivers
Thanks for the info. Yah guilty as charged. Love all things Tesla and the direction it is taking us. My wife and I both drive EV’s. Her a smart ED and me a 2016 Leaf SV. We came close to deciding on a 3 but for a few reasons that are edge case to us we actually ordered a 2020 Leaf Eplus SL which should be here in March. However I try to be up on all the Tesla products as I am constantly trying to sell them to folks. In a couple years we’ll probably replace the second car with a model Y. Until then i’ll continue to enjoy this board and watch the company grow.

Glad to see you support EVs, but you should know that Nissan has decided not to include liquid battery cooling for the Leaf.

I think there are much better choices like a Tesla Model 3, a new or preowned Model S/X or perhaps a Chevrolet Bolt. All of these have liquid battery cooling, and you can set variable maximum charge levels. Both of these things help to extend the battery's life.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Glad to see you support EVs, but you should know that Nissan has decided not to include liquid battery cooling for the Leaf.

I think there are much better choices like a Tesla Model 3, a new or preowned Model S/X or perhaps a Chevrolet Bolt. All of these have liquid battery cooling, and you can set variable maximum charge levels. Both of these things help to extend the battery's life.

Thanks for the reply. We have been driving our leaf for close to 4 years. Just a bulletproof maintenance free car. Where we live liquid cooling wouldn’t provide much advantage ...although the heat pump does. LOL.

We absolutely love the model 3. But there were a half dozen things that swayed us to the Eplus. Having said that, when it arrives in March we’ll look closely once more at each. The model Y actually overcomes a bunch of the things that kept us from buying the model 3. Sounds like it will be out soon. We’ll see.

Thanks for your input though.

Where we live liquid cooling wouldn’t provide much advantage ...although the heat pump does.

Do you take your leaf on long trips? I've read that successive fast-charging sessions can lead to slower and slower charge rates.

So far we've taken our SR+ on two road trips over 1,000 miles, and Supercharging has always been the best part of the trip. Arriving at chargers around 10-15%, we've only gotten slower than 100 kW at crowded Superchargers when we're forced to split the rate with someone. More often than not, we don't have enough time for a meal before it's time to head to the next charger.

Checking out route planners like A Better Route Planner was actually our biggest factor in deciding which vehicle to go with. My wife has family in Massachusetts, and a DC to Cape Cod trip takes:

And realistically I imagine both the Kona and the Leaf may take longer since the optimized routes utilize a few different networks of chargers.