Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still charging at full speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I returned to Toronto after being out of the country for 9 days.
The SoC had dropped from 66% to 59% during that time, which is more than I've previously seen. I never used the app while I was gone, nor do I use sentry mode or any other monitoring apps.

What I was mostly curious about was how much power I'd get from the supercharger. I was expecting far less than 250 kW since the car is now four years old with about 127,000 km on the odometer. I arrived at the Kingston, ON V3 superchargers with 3% SoC left, and after initially ramping up to ~105 kW, it went up to 255 kW, more than rated. The outside temperature was about 20 °C, and I set the supercharger as my target when I was about half an hour away from it.

I'm pretty happy with that kind of charging speed. The ease of use and the charging speed make the price per kWh a bit more tolerable.

What is everybody else's experience? Is that consistent with other M3's or should I consider myself lucky?

What led you to believe that calendar age would have an effect on supercharging speed?
As @GHammer said, older Model Ss do get throttled. I wouldn't say I "believed" that Model 3s get throttled as well, I was just curious whether or not that is the case. Seeing @Sophias_dad's and @GHammer's responses that are consistent with my own observation, I no longer think it could be an issue 🙂.

What led you to believe that calendar age would have an effect on supercharging speed?
batteries pretty much have a shelf life on them, they will never be as good as they once were from day 1. Things needs to be compensated for. Also tesla has said after a certain amount of dc charging speeds will be reduced, without giving that certain number, its more to protect themselves. My friends 2018 model 3 with 150,000 miles charging definitely sees reduced speeds from when he bought it. I don't think the car reaches 250kw anymore

Yesterday I returned to Toronto after being out of the country for 9 days.
The SoC had dropped from 66% to 59% during that time, which is more than I've previously seen. I never used the app while I was gone, nor do I use sentry mode or any other monitoring apps.

What I was mostly curious about was how much power I'd get from the supercharger. I was expecting far less than 250 kW since the car is now four years old with about 127,000 km on the odometer. I arrived at the Kingston, ON V3 superchargers with 3% SoC left, and after initially ramping up to ~105 kW, it went up to 255 kW, more than rated. The outside temperature was about 20 °C, and I set the supercharger as my target when I was about half an hour away from it.

I'm pretty happy with that kind of charging speed. The ease of use and the charging speed make the price per kWh a bit more tolerable.

What is everybody else's experience? Is that consistent with other M3's or should I consider myself lucky?
I don't really know about what happened with throttling on Model S, but my thinking is that throttling happens naturally as batteries experience lithium plating. No charging speed issues with my 5yr old 3.

As for your SOC drop, did the ambient temps drop in the 9 days you were gone. If you left, when the car was calculating SOC and the ambient was 25C, and when you got back the car recalculated SOC and the ambient was 20C, then you could see a drop in SOC. At least my car seems to do that, but that's my anecdotal observation.

Reactions: UncleCreepy
As for your SOC drop, did the ambient temps drop in the 9 days you were gone.
That is a good point. I didn't think about that. The temperature was 22 °C when I returned. I don't remember for sure what it was when I left, but it was definitely colder.

Come to think of it, it might very well be that the battery was much warmer when I parked the car as I had to supercharge before I arrived at the airport. Maybe that's what happened.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
I am at 5 1/2 years on my Model 3 with 115,000 miles and I still charge at 250 kW, sometimes it maxes at 245 and sometimes at 252kW. My range is down 6% but SuperCharging is faster, as when I got the car there were not any 250kW chargers around.

Attachments

• Model3_range.JPG
    Model3_range.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 38