Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The latest TMC Podcast (#17) is now available on YouTube and all major podcast networks. We covered EV Tax Credit 2.0, Model Y & 3 Gangbuster Sales, Low Model X Demand, and California FSD Drama.

Model 3 MCU on the bench

Hello folks!

After I messed a bit with the Model S conputers, being unable to redeploy and figuring out that my IC is broken I decided to go for a Model 3 Unit.

Currently it's not up and running as I'm running into some problems...

First of all I have to wait for the cable that connects screen and MCU since my self made wiring is probably not good enough, was wondering if someone had a pinout of that connector. The Tesla one ain't telling me what I wanted to know (possibly hooking the screen to my laptop)

Second of all: The board seems to behave a little weird. When powering it without screen multiple LEDs start flashing. Same ones as I saw on reddit before. I then waited. Second LED next to the screen connector flashed really quickly and then stayed off. In videos it stayed on and showed video output. Might the board be damaged? It's also missing the LTE chip, SD Card and SIM so I'm not sure if thats connected somehow.

Heres a picture of both pieces on my desk:
Picsart_22-06-03_10-13-55-002.jpg

Don't mind the weird wiring. Was testing something.

I hope the board isn't dead and people are interested in this project!

I'm not a computer geek and would never attempt doing something like this, but I would like to know, just out of curiosity, why you're doing all this. What sort of improvements do you anticipate?
Well, first I just wanna understand how that stuff works better. Like how does the computer react to different signals and stuff. And I also then want to see, where do we have capabilities that aren't used to their full potential.

In the end effect, I also want to mess with it and possibly turn it into some sort of gaming rig as I've done with other gauge clusters before :)

Well, it's been a while.

I am one step closer to getting it to boot. Screen cable is hooked up and that onr LED stays on. I do still not get anything on screen though. :(

On a video I saw the two leds next to the screen connector stay on all the time and the power leds blinking rapidly. Here the power leds blink slowly and every now and then one of the screen leds turns off and comes back on (the one that stayed on before). I am guessing it's stuck in a bootloop?

I am missing the SD-Card and SIM so maybe thats an issue? Ethernet is locked as far as I know so I can't really set any values :/

Anyways, heres some pics :)

Full setup
IMG_20220613_164553.jpg

Screen LEDS
IMG20220613165223.jpg

Power LEDS
IMG20220613165226.jpg

IMG20220613165227.jpg

Attachments

• IMG20220613165227.jpg
    IMG20220613165227.jpg
    426.2 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: tm1v2

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC