Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 not tracking charge above 280 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I already setup an SC appointment as it is the obvious thing to do in this situation... but I was wondering if anyone has had similar problems. Exterior temp was about 65 degrees.

Since I got the car I have been using my wall charger and charge daily to 70% or 80%. When charging to these percentages, I noticed I was slowly losing range. Today i have about a 10% range loss at these charge levels.

I decided to charge to 100% at a supercharger to see what mileage I would end up with and balance the battery. I charged from 6% to 100%. The car was stuck at 280 miles (100%) on calculating for over 40 minutes... I ended up unplugging when the charge rate was showing 1kW.

On my way home I noticed the mileage indicator wasn't going down (stuck at 100% AKA 280 miles). It took about 20 miles of driving for the range to drop from 100% to 99%.
ZABWSLp.jpg

See the following link for some pictures I took showing the above with timestamps (sorry for the bad quality).
Model 3 Battery Range Issue

I continued driving to deplete the battery down below 80%. I ended up in my garage at 77%... plugged in with limit set to 80%. A few minutes later I get a notification that charging is complete. Now the weird part is that maybe about 30 minutes later, I get a notification that charging has started again. My phone, was showing the car at 75% and charging! It finally finished charging (again) to ~80% / 223 miles of range.

That does seem funky but if you're seeing your normal range while driving I wouldn't worry too much.

The voltage algorithm takes a lot of variables into consideration including temperature of the pack and current input/output throughout your voltage levels.

Your supercharging seems normal. You start with a huge current input at low charge that gradually tapers off as you reach full.

Personally I think the best thing you can do to "normalize" your battery status is not to charge fully...but to go drive the thing around a freeway for a half hour. That is going to be some of the more efficient driving you'll do and should increase the range shown at specific voltage values. It seems you're doing a lot of short, high current driving (like around the city).

PS - Fully charging with a supercharger is one of the hardest things to do on your battery. Avoid it as much as you can. Of course 10 or 15 times won't ruin anything, but it is in fact one of the most destructive things you can do to your battery chemistry.

Last edited:
Sounds like bad cells or battery module. You’re charging to 100% of what can charge, and it only gives 280 miles range. It’s not that it’s not tracking a charge above 280 miles, it’s that your batteries are holding that much less energy when fully charged.

Its not an emergency, so I just scheduled a service appointment online. I don't think its worth calling Tesla about... although I am curious to hear what they would say; if they can remotely monitor the battery. Or rather if anyone else on the forums has seen a similar issue...

I'm not too worried. If there is something wrong with the car (ie bad cells or battery module) Tesla will make it right.

Its just such an awesome car! Looks awesome and is a joy to drive!
S0Wuqk3.jpg

Reactions: Remonster