Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y RWD 2022 with 120 miles on it but the range is showing as 195 miles at 100% charge. Is this normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve just bought a 2022 Model Y RWD (registered December 2022) with 120 miles on the clock. It hasn’t had a previous owner, the dealership have bought it as old stock from Tesla.

The range is showing at 195 miles when charged to 100%. Is this normal as I was expecting it to show 280 miles on 100% as advertised?

The range is showing at 195 miles when charged to 100%. Is this normal as I was expecting it to show 280 miles on 100% as advertised?
I see you're in the UK, so it's using the WLTP efficiency rating, which is crazy ridiculous fantasy. The car should have a setting that lets you toggle between that one, called "Rated" and another more realistic lower value called "Typical". Yours is probably set on that setting for Typical, which is what everyone would use anyway, as it's more sane. If you flip it back to Rated, you probably will see closer to the 280 number.

I dont know about internationally, but neither my 2018 model 3 nor my 2022 model Y have that rated / typical setting that I see model s and x owners talk about.

This number does sound low for the vehicle, but I am not sure what the rated range is for a RWD model Y. I think the US versions were 260 miles (and not LFP) but I dont know what they are internationally, or where the OP bought theirs.

By now you have probably taken it for a spin and it either recovered or didn't and you returned it?

I am.very new around the Tesla campfire. Yet to take delivery myself! A couple of things I have picked up on...

Sitting around is not good for batteries.

Batteries that gradually lose apparent range can be restored by a good draining and charging to max with immediate re-drain and recharge. Back to good.

I have read stuff that makes it seem like it is less about battery health and more about the car brain confusing itself. That's a bit different to a battery self discharging itself to death.

Worth a crack trying the deep cycling trick.