Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 off peak

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I set off-peak end time at 4:30am and plug in at say 10pm, will it start charging straight away, even though off peak doesn’t start until 12:30am? Do I have to wait til 12:30am to plug in to ensure off peak only charging?

Upvote 0
Will scheduled departure time stop the charging if I set this to 430am and start charge at 1230am?

No, you can not have both.

I understand what you are trying to do, but tesla does not offer it.

Tesla does not offer "charge my car only during my off peak electricity rates" natively in their app. You can not use scheduled charging (start time) and scheduled departure at the same time. You can not ensure the car will only charge during your off peak rates using native tesla app.

You either schedule a start time (which is what I would recommend as there is no need for the car to calculate backward), or scheduled departure.

You would have to look into third party solutions to try to do what you want, or have a wall connector which allows some configuration. For the usually inevitable next question, I have no recommendations on third party apps personally as I dont use them. There are several popular ones but I am not sure if you can do what you want with them.

My speculation is, Tesla has decided that the amount of people complaining about their car not charging enough to go wherever they need to go because they "dont have enough charge because it only charged between 12am to 4am" outweigh any perceived utility or savings.

Upvote 0
100% agree with @jjrandorin

I think Tesla figured the number of people who would want charging between time X and Y but then wake up and find they didn't have enough charge would be a sore spot.

3rd party charging solutions can do this I believe but like @jjrandorin I don't use one so can't recommend anything. I know others on this forum have discussed wall chargers that offer more functionality for charge start/stop times though.

Out of curiosity though what are your electricity rates at the different times? We pay about $0.15/kWh 24/7 here so I've never had to deal with this. If our power company ever adds lower overnight rates though I would certainly switch.

Upvote 0

I think Tesla figured the number of people who would want charging between time X and Y but then wake up and find they didn't have enough charge would be a sore spot.

3rd party charging solutions can do this I believe but like @jjrandorin I don't use one so can't recommend anything. I know others on this forum have discussed wall chargers that offer more functionality for charge start/stop times though.

Out of curiosity though what are your electricity rates at the different times? We pay about $0.15/kWh 24/7 here so I've never had to deal with this. If our power company ever adds lower overnight rates though I would certainly switch.

Here in CA where I am, if you are on a TOU rate its a HUGE delta. I am grandfathered into a tiered rate structure (not rate itself, rate structure) due to when I got my solar installed, which is a separate and not really related topic other than its why i am on a tiered rate and not TOU here in SoCal.

In Cali, they force a TOU rate on you, unless you are grandfathered into an older rate structure. the most typical rate an EV owner would be on has rates like 14-16 cents a kWh during super off peak from 12 midnight to 6am, to 50+ cents a kWh during "peak" which is 4pm to 9pm daily.

Upvote 0
Here in CA where I am, if you are on a TOU rate its a HUGE delta. I am grandfathered into a tiered rate structure (not rate itself, rate structure) due to when I got my solar installed, which is a separate and not really related topic other than its why i am on a tiered rate and not TOU here in SoCal.

In Cali, they force a TOU rate on you, unless you are grandfathered into an older rate structure. the most typical rate an EV owner would be on has rates like 14-16 cents a kWh during super off peak from 12 midnight to 6am, to 50+ cents a kWh during "peak" which is 4pm to 9pm daily.
WOW $0.50/kWh? That is crazy! That's more than I would pay for supercharging which works out to roughly 45c here. I can see why people want to make sure it's charging at the cheap rate.

Upvote 0

Out of curiosity though what are your electricity rates at the different times? We pay about $0.15/kWh 24/7 here so I've never had to deal with this. If our power company ever adds lower overnight rates though I would certainly switch.i
I’m in UK. Peak rate is £0.41p per kWh whereas off peak is £0.12 per kWh. So it makes a big difference! Seems weird this simple functionality not included in such a hi tech project 🤷‍♂️

Upvote 0
I’m in UK. Peak rate is £0.41p per kWh whereas off peak is £0.12 per kWh. So it makes a big difference! Seems weird this simple functionality not included in such a hi tech project 🤷‍♂️

I get people thinking that, and I am not an insider, but my earlier post contains why I think that is. I think its a deliberate omission, not accidental.

Upvote 0
I am trying to enroll in Duke energy program for off peak charging. They are asking me to send picture of applicable charging timer set to off-peak period(9pm to 5am and 10am to 6pm weekdays and weekends all hours)

Also they are asking for access to electric vehicles telematics.

All this for a $10 credit per month.

Please advice how to proceed.

I have attached a picture of this request.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    579.3 KB · Views: 74
Upvote 0
I am trying to enroll in Duke energy program for off peak charging. They are asking me to send picture of applicable charging timer set to off-peak period(9pm to 5am and 10am to 6pm weekdays and weekends all hours)

I own a 2023 Tesla Model 3 Long Range. Please advise.

Upvote 0
I just went through this setting up time of use for my house, along with powerwall settings. The app does what you want it to do. It sounds complicated but it's actually a quick and easy thing to set up. I'm assuming you have a 240V level 2 charging solution of some sort. With level 1 charging only you will probably be charging during on peak times because it will take so long.

Easiest way to do this:

Go into your app, click Schedule --> Departure

Confirm it's referring to the correct address at the top. You can actually have different schedule departures at different locations.
Departure: 5AM (because according to your attachment that's when off peak hours end, in an overnight charge situation). Even though you're not leaving at 5, set this to 5 for it to work right.
Precondition: off

Off-Peak charge: ON
Select "All week"

Off-peak end time: 5:00 AM (because that's when off peak hours end in an overnight charge situation)

Take a screenshot and send it to them.

Make sure your charging speed is set to the max amps it can go. If it's the mobile connector it would be 32 Amp assuming your outlet supports it.

Now it will END charging by 5 AM (maybe a few minutes before), and START charging however many hours before is needed to reach your target SOC. The faster your charge rate the shorter the time window required. You have 8 hours to charge due to your 9PM to 5 AM window; at 8KW (32 amps on Mobile connector) that's almost a full charge.

That should cover you in the vast majority of cases. If you need to charge any other time in the day, the easiest thing to do in order to not violate your time of use agreement is that it must be at lower than 3 KW. So manually set your amps to about 10 for that session and you'll fall below the 3 KW limit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Upvote 0