Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Gross Margin

What is Model 3 Performance gross margin?

• 30% or less

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • 30% to 32%

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • 32% to 34%

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • 34% to 36%

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • 36% to 38%

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • 38% to 40%

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • 40% to 42%

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • 42% to 44%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 44% to 46%

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • 46% to 48%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 48% to 50%

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • 50% or more

Votes: 2 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I expect sales mix to remain favorable in the coming months, as potential buyers reach up to take delivery by year-end in order to qualify for the $7500 federal tax credit. Model 3 Performance delivery time is "less than 2 months" vs. 2 to 4 months for other variants. This upcoming phenomenon is why the following question is important:

At an ASP of $77,000, including high take rates for EAP/FSD after Version 9, where do you estimate Model 3 Performance gross margin?

I'm going with 50+%, mostly because I think the incremental per unit cost is at or below $5,000. UBS put the cost of the SRM powertrain in the 3 LR at $4,500, so my guess for the FWD AC induction motor/inverter is one or two grand less. That difference will be offset by the larger wheels/tires, braking, and suspension upgrades, but all told I think the incremental per unit cost is still at about $5,000.

Having said that, with free Supercharging and what I'm guessing will be higher warranty costs from the car being driven harder, I think the Performance cars will cost Tesla a little more in the long run, although even that shouldn't be a substantial difference.

Reactions: ValueAnalyst
I expect sales mix to remain favorable in the coming months, as potential buyers reach up to take delivery by year-end in order to qualify for the $7500 federal tax credit. Model 3 Performance delivery time is "less than 2 months" vs. 2 to 4 months for other variants. This upcoming phenomenon is why the following question is important:

At an ASP of $77,000, including high take rates for EAP/FSD after Version 9, where do you estimate Model 3 Performance gross margin?

Hard to say. I picked 40-42% for Q3 2019 when they finish the Model 3 ramp and are much more efficient than today. Now it's less than 30% due to low labor productivity but then it could be anywhere from 40-50%. A year from now, there will be even more EAP/FSP uptake with Version 10.