Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Power Reduced Warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ngogas

Sep 19, 2018
Utah
After only 7 days, my baby is in the shop. I was at lunch today and the warning came up 3 times in an hour - Power Reduced Warning Ext and re-enter car - may restore operation.

After the third time, i was near tesla service center here in utah. i pulled in and the service guy when to grab the technician to quickly see if they can pull the information from the computer. Turns out the computer says the hydraulic pump for the motor is bad. Told me they need to replace it, or at least investigate to make sure it's not just a bad sensor.

they walked me over to get my information and get a loaner, the other loaner service guy said, we have you on order for hydraulic pump? I said sure since i just brought it in. he said no, your car sent us the information and i was about to order it and call you to bring you model 3 in. i was like, what?! I'm impressed the car was that smart to send the diagnostic to the service center. the other service guy who originally helped me was surprised as well.

in any case, only 7 days and my model 3 is in the shop. :( but at least they gave me a model s as a loaner. they said parts should be in the next day and hoping to get my car back then. any one seen or have this issue?

Hey @ngogas - My Model 3 experienced this as well. I was told it was something to do with the high voltage connector. Tesla has had my car for 10 days (6 business days) and they still don't have the part - and when I called for an update, they don't have an idea on when the part will be coming in. #facepalm

Anyway, keep me posted on your experience. Is your car a dual motor? Mine is, and I was able to still drive on it, but I was given the impression that if it was rear-wheel only that I wouldn't have been able to. And that also, it's apparently/obviously unsafe to do so with that warning message.

@tommyboy21 - yes mine was a dual motor. Sort of lucky I brought it in right when it occurred. Nothing worse then a motor with no oil pump for those moving parts.

They told me they checked to make sure the engine was ok and they said everything was good. No shaved metals from the oil and filter etc. guess I have to take their word for it and it’s covered for 8 years.

Sounds like your car had a different issue but the same warning message. Which is common since the technician did say he had to diagnose it to make sure it was what the computer says in the logs. I assume the logs are more detail info where the user only see a generic message.

Reactions: emorog
It is my impression that the oil pump and filter are mainly a precaution for long-term reliability of the motor/transaxle gears and bearings. The pump circulates oil through the filter. The gears and bearings in the unit still have oil even if the pump has a problem. It could also have a cooling function for the gears and bearings. Still great that the car reports this problem and it appears to be an easy fix.

Ya @ngogas. They did have to check the logs of the car. Apparently they also had to "escalate" it to a "higher level" than their remote diagnostics team. So maybe it is actually something different then. Glad you have your car back! (I'm jealous. ;))

I had the “reduced power exit and re-enter” warning . Got it on the way home from the service center after they replaced the front body controller module for a “cannot maintain vehicle power” and “unable to drive” warning. After a total of 13 days in the shop now they say it’s a faulty connector in the front of the car and a wiring harness needs to be changed. Didn’t give details on what wiring harness exactly, other than it’s not a “main” harness and is just in the front of the car. But doesn’t sound like it’s the high voltage connector? Mine was escalated to Tesla engineering as well. Looks like 3 different diagnoses for the same warning message now. I’m jealous too...I haven’t even had my car for 24hr yet...and took delivery 2 weeks ago.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
@ngogas thanks for starting this thread. I'm here because of the same error message and reduced speed and power issue. @tommyboy21 and @N54TT - hope you got your cars all fixed. Was it the same issue as ngogas or something else with the same error.

I have gotten the error at least 4 times in the last week. Only had the car for a week now. Issue started on day three as I was leaving work. The first time it actually dropped the battery charge from 121 miles to about 65 as soon as the error popped up. Took it to the Plano, TX service center but I had stopped on the way to pull off the highway and to charge the car at a supercharger and the error went away.

The technician said it could be a firmware issue and did an update which I had to complete after I got home and connected to the wifi. But that did nothing to solve the problem. Had the error reoccurring at least a few times since then. Plan to take it to the service center tomorrow. This sucks.

Please let me know what solved the problems with your cars.

Thanks.

@ngogas thanks for starting this thread. I'm here because of the same error message and reduced speed and power issue. @tommyboy21 and @N54TT - hope you got your cars all fixed. Was it the same issue as ngogas or something else with the same error.

I have gotten the error at least 4 times in the last week. Only had the car for a week now. Issue started on day three as I was leaving work. The first time it actually dropped the battery charge from 121 miles to about 65 as soon as the error popped up. Took it to the Plano, TX service center but I had stopped on the way to pull off the highway and to charge the car at a supercharger and the error went away.

The technician said it could be a firmware issue and did an update which I had to complete after I got home and connected to the wifi. But that did nothing to solve the problem. Had the error reoccurring at least a few times since then. Plan to take it to the service center tomorrow. This sucks.

Please let me know what solved the problems with your cars.

Thanks.

Had my front body controller module replaced for my original power issue. They diagnosed the “reduced power exit and re-enter” as a shorted front body harness that was causing faults in the voltage controller. They seem to think it was related to my original problem.

@abhi0 did they look at your cars logs and diagnostic reports to see what the actual issue is before determining it could just be a firmware update? Sometime after the firmware update, they can eliminate that i probably have a better logging to find out the actual issue. Let us know what they find.

same problem here: lost power, lurching even at low speeds, same reduced power enter and exit message
Happened when I got back from a trip with car at abq airport 2.5 hours from home. Service hauling the car to Denver today. Total bummer. Car has less than 2000 miles on it

same problem here: lost power, lurching even at low speeds, same reduced power enter and exit message
Happened when I got back from a trip with car at abq airport 2.5 hours from home. Service hauling the car to Denver today. Total bummer. Car has less than 2000 miles on it

It sucks...I know. My car was towed not even 24hrs after taking delivery. I they put more miles doing an extended test drive than I had put on the car myself. Was very frustrating at the time. I’m loving the car and it’s now a distant memory now.

Post back after you get it sorted out....curious to see what they diagnose it. Seems like there’s a variety of things that are causing these power issues.

Ugh more random failures. I’ve never been given an answer by anyone who says that parts will fail “early” or many many years from now. How many miles or length of time is the “early” window?

Well the news is back from Tesla
A rabbit ate some cables! New one on me....what the heck?
Only $142 fix, but the car is 5 hours away in Denver and I'm working 3 weeks straight. Not clear how I'll get it back.
So there you go......guessing a rabbit could have wandered into the parking lot at the airport? At home the car is garaged at night.

Well the news is back from Tesla
A rabbit ate some cables! New one on me....what the heck?
Only $142 fix, but the car is 5 hours away in Denver and I'm working 3 weeks straight. Not clear how I'll get it back.
So there you go......guessing a rabbit could have wandered into the parking lot at the airport? At home the car is garaged at night.

Hmm. This is not the first time I’ve heard of this happening on the 3 actually. I can’t remember why they are attracted to the wiring but apparently it is a thing. Where are these wires located?!

• Funny
Reactions: goldengate