Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Purchase for new family situation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a similar work situation. I drive between Pensacola, FL and Tampa, FL 2-3 weeks out of the month which is a bit over 400miles. I have a 2021 LR model 3 which I only have to stop once for about 25 mins if I start at 100% from home. Going home from the customer site on Friday afternoons at about 50% charge I have to stop 3 times. I don't stay the weekends as I want to be home as much as I can and my company pays for travel expenses during the week and to drive home. With all that being said, the Tesla is my wife's daily driver (105 miles round trip per day) and I either drive my personal Ford Expedition or my company rents me a traditional rental car. I am 6'4" 240lbs. I do not like road tripping in the Tesla, too small and no vented seats so in the Florida heat I get swamp butt. My preference is driving my gas hog Ford Expedition which is more comfortable to road trip in, plus I put my bicycle in the cargo area of the Expedition.

I wouldn't purchase a model 3 just to reduce your commute time by an hour, keep your model s which hopefully has heated/cooled seats as the model 3 only has heated seats.
Unfortunately being a 2015 it's only heated seats.

So the work situation is that I'm an Aerospace engineer and have worked on atmospheric aircraft for about 16 years. I'm tired of working for another business jet that a millionaire is going to fly around. I want my work to have meaning and working on the progression of manned space flight is impactful. I have personal reasons why some of my kids have to stay in Kansas (previous marriage) and there just isn't any work in my field in Wichita anymore, at least not that I have any passion for. I'm stuck going out of state for my work and trying to find the best way to do that for a couple years until the rest of the family moves with me.

I do appreciate the perspectives but making this work the best way possible is the best option right now.
Best of luck to you, what a great field to work in. I agree on the eco sin stock enriched private jet planet killers.

Interesting choice you have. You could make it work fine with the S or 3, but if reducing the commute time is the priority maybe consider an ICE vehicle. A Tesla is superior in many other ways though. I assume you're driving to Texas. Like the other fella suggested, maybe flying is the way to go for some of these trips. Maybe the new job will cover the cost.

Reactions: MadScientist23