Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 purchased 2 weeks ago vs now, HW upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there anyone else on this forum besides Knightshade who believes that with 100% certainty if they purchase the $2K FSD upgrade being offered today through the Tesla website, they will definitely get the upgraded HW3 chip, parts and labor to install, completely free from Tesla, no ifs ands or buts? No wiggle room to claim they offered a watered down FSD that works with V2.5...just complete absolute certainty that for $2K they get the hardware, installation, and future software updates, period.

Elon Musk on Twitter

I'd say odds are better than 50/50 based on that tweet.

Reactions: Alketi
Isn't there a possibility that HW 3.0 could incrementally improve safety and autopilot accuracy/performance?
As far as I know, what you are calling “HW 3.0” means a different computer board installed in the car that can support all the coming features needed for FSDC. It is not needed for the current Auto Pilot option or for the standard safety features like Automatic Emergency Braking.

Is there anyone else on this forum besides Knightshade who believes that with 100% certainty if they purchase the $2K FSD upgrade being offered today through the Tesla website, they will definitely get the upgraded HW3 chip, parts and labor to install, completely free from Tesla, no ifs ands or buts?
The only thing I believe with 100% certainty is math, e.g. 2+2=4 (when dealing with whole, non-imaginary numbers).

But I do think it near certain that what you describe will be the case.

Is there anyone else on this forum besides Knightshade who believes that with 100% certainty if they purchase the $2K FSD upgrade being offered today through the Tesla website, they will definitely get the upgraded HW3 chip, parts and labor to install, completely free from Tesla, no ifs ands or buts? No wiggle room to claim they offered a watered down FSD that works with V2.5...just complete absolute certainty that for $2K they get the hardware, installation, and future software updates, period.
Me, I “upgraded” from EAP this morning. There is no way HW3 is not included. It is required for the FPS and number of NNs for FSD, per everything Elon has said about it. I trust an Elon tweet over any tech support or service advisor.

Everyone Trust's Elon. :D Maybe you should read old posts and see how many people were let down on their trust over the years.
Well as a M3P- owner I got the refund when everyone but Elon was saying I wouldn’t. I got Track Mode this morning when everyone but Elon said I wouldn’t. I’ll get a higher top speed, more HP, more range, and 2x supercharging speed and I was not even expecting that. There was some ambiguity about track mode and the rebate for super charging. There is 0 ambiguity about HW3 being required and therefore being included in anything called FSD.

Last edited:
So I called Tesla support today to inquire about whether HW3 is included in the upgrade. The rep I spoke to referred me to a tweet from Elon confirming it does. I said great, can you just send me an email confirming this. He went to speak with his manager, and then I asked to speak with the manager directly. The manager said no he can not put it in writing. He was told to refer everyone to Elon’s tweet.

So interpret this to mean that they have no idea what Elon is planning to do beyond what the tweet says, and they are afraid to take a written position on the subject out of fear that it might get them in trouble.

I also sent a written request via email asking for a response. I never received one. What a flaky company.

Reactions: OPRCE