Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got the Disco Volante this Monday. I was concerned about quality after reading a number of posts. Turns out my concerns were unfounded (so far).

I drove it to RPM Tesla right away for ceramic, clear bra, wood/carbon fiber interior appliques, etc. I'm also having the windshield wrapped to prevent rock chips. No rattles to speak of. Nice and peppy. It's a TARDIS. The size of a 3 series outside, and a 5 series inside. The tires did make a lot of noise, I'm thinking of decreasing the air pressure to ~ 35 PSI? Do you think that will be a problem?

Mark said everything was aligned correctly. The paint required very little color correction. He was impressed with how much better it is was than the 1st ones. Getting used to the speedometer and turn signal indicators being on the right took all of a minute. I like the small steering wheel and unblockable instrument panel I look forward to getting it back soon.

I felt the delivery experience was rushed. I asked for a through explanation of the car and a drive to check out the car, but they said they don't do that.

I'll have to go to the Brea Mall for a 2 hour orientation. They said they have to push out ~160? cars a day at the Costa Mesa delivery center, so they don't have the time.

That's OK, but it would have been nice to know that beforehand.

Congratulations and happy to see your car exceeded your expectations!

The paint required very little color correction.
What color did you get?
I'll have to go to the Brea Mall for a 2 hour orientation.
This is news to me! Tell me about it. This is exciting if Tesla offers this kind of orientation to everyone. Techno-nerds won't need it, but for the general public (my wife for example), this would really be helpful. We're about an hour away from Brea, so it is easy to drive there for an orientation.

Congratulations and happy to see your car exceeded your expectations!

What color did you get?

This is news to me! Tell me about it. This is exciting if Tesla offers this kind of orientation to everyone. Techno-nerds won't need it, but for the general public (my wife for example), this would really be helpful. We're about an hour away from Brea, so it is easy to drive there for an orientation.

Midnight Silver Metallic

Cary at the Brea Mall has 2 sessions a week. Tues and Thurs from 10AM - 12PM PST. He was very nice and understanding about my sub-optimal delivery experience. I'm a techo-nerd on my 3rd fully electric car, and still want it.

Reactions: nvx1977 and F_T_K
Glad to hear you got your 3 and that the build quality looks good.
I felt the delivery experience was rushed. I asked for a through explanation of the car and a drive to check out the car, but they said they don't do that.
I am not aware of a “check out drive” at delivery being something that Tesla ever offered for the S and X. I certainly wouldn’t expect it for the 3. Tesla has too many cars to deliver.

And of course you can always schedule a service appointment if after driving the car home on delivery day you decide there are issues that need to be corrected.

Are you getting the RPM Tesla dashboard carbon fiber wrap like this? https://www.rpmtesla.com/copy-of-model-s-interior

If so I’m interested in hearing your opinion of it and seeing photos. Thanks.

We have about 8000 miles on our car, and it has been flawless.
The fact the car is as much computer as it is car, can be a little quirky. It's like owning a Furrbie :)

The tire noise is mostly a function of the type of road you are driving on. Concrete is the worst,
but on good asphalt it's as quiet or quieter than most other cars.

Lowering the pressure helps the ride, but the low pressure warning comes on at 36PSI. We run ours at about 40.
The tires have foam glued to the inside which helps reduce noise, and the glue is the consistency of honey which should help
in the event of a puncture as it would act like a sealant. Ask me how I know. We got a nail in one, just outside the
foam area. Had it been where the foam is, I don't think it would have ever leaked.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: SpudLime
Glad to hear you got your 3 and that the build quality looks good.I am not aware of a “check out drive” at delivery being something that Tesla ever offered for the S and X. I certainly wouldn’t expect it for the 3. Tesla has too many cars to deliver.

And of course you can always schedule a service appointment if after driving the car home on delivery day you decide there are issues that need to be corrected.

Are you getting the RPM Tesla dashboard carbon fiber wrap like this? https://www.rpmtesla.com/copy-of-model-s-interior

If so I’m interested in hearing your opinion of it and seeing photos. Thanks.

I really like the wood. I'll post pics when I get it back. But this is what I'm getting

Center Console wrap:
cd0434_a6741ba52796479983b7d4912c1348f2~mv2.jpg

Steering wheel accents:
cd0434_7f8b715c1377437e97e627039a5f25fd~mv2_d_4032_3024_s_4_2.jpeg

Window control accents:
cd0434_7b861584836f44fc92c96c7de94adf4a~mv2.jpg

We have about 8000 miles on our car, and it has been flawless.
The fact the car is as much computer as it is car, can be a little quirky. It's like owning a Furrbie :)

The tire noise is mostly a function of the type of road you are driving on. Concrete is the worst,
but on good asphalt it's as quiet or quieter than most other cars.

Lowering the pressure helps the ride, but the low pressure warning comes on at 36PSI. We run ours at about 40.
The tires have foam glued to the inside which helps, and the glue is the consistency of honey which should help
in the event of a puncture as it would act like a sealant. Ask me how I know. We got a nail in one, just outside the
foam area. Had it been where the foam is, I don't think it would have ever leaked.

Good to know. My 2 Ford Focus Electrics were flawless over 80K miles. I think 40 will help the noise. I hope I don't have to dynamat the wheel wells.

Cary at the Brea Mall has 2 sessions a week. Tues and Thurs from 10AM - 12PM PST. He was very nice and understanding about my sub-optimal delivery experience. I'm a techo-nerd on my 3rd fully electric car, and still want it.
HOT DAYAM!!!!!!! Sign me up! I'm another Techno-Nerd who wants to attend. Palm Desert would be closer for me, I'll see if they offer this orientation too.