Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 resale value

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm no battery expert, and maybe this is the wrong domain, but why isn't there a display in the Tesla with something like this on my Mac:

Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 2.47.24 PM.png

Basically it will tell you what the full charge capacity is, and you can compare that to a factory new battery to see how much actual degradation has happened. That would be a lot more accurate than the mile count, wouldn't it?

I'm no battery expert, and maybe this is the wrong domain, but why isn't there a display in the Tesla with something like this on my Mac:

View attachment 502625

Basically it will tell you what the full charge capacity is, and you can compare that to a factory new battery to see how much actual degradation has happened. That would be a lot more accurate than the mile count, wouldn't it?
They have plenty of data on your battery. They just show very little to the consumer.

Reactions: preilly44
And a little bit of caution.

For example: We just drove from the Atlanta 'burbs to Savannah in temps in the high 40s (F). We probably could have made the 202 miles to the Metter, GA Supercharger with 7% battery remaining, but that's on I-16 in a thinly populated rural area.
Not somewhere to misjudge your range or to be unable to handle a 30 mile diversion if a crash closes the Interstate.

So we diverted briefly while passing Macon and added 12%, and then arrived with 18% charge. A much better safety margin.
Pulled in at 2%, 4%, and 2% all just yesterday. Had bailout plans just in case either way. To illustrate just how insidious rapidly dropping ambient temps are. We started out the second of the three SC stops with a 24% estimate and pulled in at 4% after some careful driving changes and climate control reduction.

Resale will be interesting. Battery degradation is real -- however, warranty replacement is also real ... ... ... I believe the warranty will replace the battery up-to 70% (*i think*).

The market for EV's (overall) will grow in a few years ----- Used Model 3's might be pretty appealing to first time buyers, especially considering the autonomous capabilities.

EV + Autonomy = a decent used car

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
OP's car is fine. It is operating normally. The readings do not indicate the battery is failing or will continue to degrade. It is normal to it to vary depending on conditions and driving. Believe he is suffering from FUD. (Fear, Uncertainty & Doubt)

Tesla batteried have held up better than ever predicted. Rarely hear of people that have worn out their batteries. Mostly hear of the defective ones that get replaced under warranty.

You are comparing what you got last May to what you're getting now in January? Did you account for the change in temperature? It has a giant effect. Are your tires inflated properly? They are another huge factor. Are you running the heater much? Heat uses a lot more power than AC. You might want to wait until this coming May and compare what you get then. What degradation were you expecting to have in one year? I hope you knew it was going to happen - Li-ion batteries degrade, no exceptions to the rule. Its your car and your money so sell it if it makes you happy, but I think that's a little extreme. Just saying, since you posted I hope you wanted other opinions. Best of luck to you.

People frequently fear things they don’t understand. ICE vehicles have been around forever so we don’t think about those things. The day will come when people won’t think about battery degradation in EVs but it will take much greater adoption before people accept them without worrying so much.

With an ice vehicle, gas stations are abundant enough so it's really an afterthought....