Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 resale value

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the BMS gives “estimated” miles given your driving habits - is there any way to reset it? Lots of people have driving patters that change from time to time - depending on other cars they own, etc. It would be nice if the BMS didn’t try to anticipate your range based on past driving - and be able to tell it to “start over again.”

If the BMS gives “estimated” miles given your driving habits - is there any way to reset it? Lots of people have driving patters that change from time to time - depending on other cars they own, etc. It would be nice if the BMS didn’t try to anticipate your range based on past driving - and be able to tell it to “start over again.”

BMS doesnt give range estimates based on driving habits at all. It gives range estimates based on how much energy it THINKS is in the battery. It has a hard(er) time estimating maximum battery capacity if the battery is not charged past 80 percent due to how the voltage changes in the battery work (paraphrasing what I have read here, I am not an expert on this).

The TL ; DR version is, charging to 80% will be marginally better for the battery than charging to 90% over some indeterminate long time, with a small benefit, HOWEVER, charging to 80% will not let the car keep as good a tab on how much range it actually has, so it can sometimes display a lower number.

Also, charging it to 90% once wont allow the battery to balance. Charging it to 90% and letting it sit there for a while (plugged in) lets it do so. Most of the people with these "rated range" issues are normally "running down and then charging up" or, charging to 80% because everyone here tells them to.

Conversely, most people who plug in, charge to 90% and not worry about it, have minimal losses. With me as an example, my 90% charge is now 273 instead of 279, but I have 18k miles on my car. 6 miles "lost" over 1 year and 18k miles.

As for OPs specific concern, I dont quite understand it, but I dont have to, because its not my money.

Most people have no idea what the exact range of their ICE vehicle is. And if over the years the car became less efficient and lost 10-15 miles of total range from normal wear and tear, nobody would ever know the difference.

This discussion recently took place in another thread, but in defense of "those people," their focus on range is very likely grounded in the fear (and reality) of range loss due to battery degradation with EVs. The comparison between that and ICE range really isn't valid, IMO.

With me as an example, my 90% charge is now 273 instead of 279, but I have 18k miles on my car. 6 miles "lost" over 1 year and 18k miles.

I know you know, but OP doesn’t know we’re both in Club SIAFI. “Set it and forget it!”

11,409 miles, 9 months — 90% still charges to 278.

Why overthink this?

Resale on a SR+ will be great at this point. You got the federal and state rebates so you will come out with minimal loss. The battery will degrade the most the 1st year but it likely evens out. If this gives you anxiety and you don't enjoy the car then its better to sell now. Not having to go to a gas station, quick acceleration, autopilot constant updates and supercharger network are key points that Tesla's have, if that doesn't matter to you then maybe wait a few years for battery tech and range to improve and costs to lower.

yep. As stated on my original post I may consider selling car IF the mileage drops off drastically in the spring time. Right now I am enjoying the ride. But 6-8 mile drop did catch my attention. For those who posted saying it is normal, then “cool”. But it is something that I will keep an eye on.

Range anxiety is a very common phenomenon - and I not only understand it, but have it. I think it’s less common among LR owners and more common in SR and SR+ owners. That bit of extra range in a LR vehicle is a buffer of confidence.

No one wants to run out of electrons - or gas. I think when there are road service vehicles on call (like from AAA) that can give you a quick mobile supercharge the anxiety will be reduced in most people.

Come to think of it- if Tesla added mobile quick supercharging to their services (even at a fee), it would attract many customers to the Tesla brand. It’s not that these services would be heavily utilized, but rather that people would feel confident knowing that they exist.

Reactions: tren01t
Range anxiety is a very common phenomenon - and I not only understand it, but have it. I think it’s less common among LR owners and more common in SR and SR+ owners. That bit of extra range in a LR vehicle is a buffer of confidence.

No one wants to run out of electrons - or gas. I think when there are road service vehicles on call (like from AAA) that can give you a quick mobile supercharge the anxiety will be reduced in most people.

Come to think of it- if Tesla added mobile quick supercharging to their services (even at a fee), it would attract many customers to the Tesla brand. It’s not that these services would be heavily utilized, but rather that people would feel confident knowing that they exist.

The car absolutely will not let you get stranded without power, if you actually listen to it though.

This discussion recently took place in another thread, but in defense of "those people," their focus on range is very likely grounded in the fear (and reality) of range loss due to battery degradation with EVs. The comparison between that and ICE range really isn't valid, IMO.

People frequently fear things they don’t understand. ICE vehicles have been around forever so we don’t think about those things. The day will come when people won’t think about battery degradation in EVs but it will take much greater adoption before people accept them without worrying so much.

The car absolutely will not let you get stranded without power, if you actually listen to it though.

I see lots of Teslae in my neck of the woods, and ya know, not one of them has ever been sitting on the side of the road with no juice.

How many folks in this thread have ever been below 100 miles remaining? 75? 50?

Myself, I’ve been in double digits twice that I can recall. Both less than 75, more than 50.

PPPPP - prior planning provides proper power.

Agreed: SR+ are selling for nearly new value still with 5-10K on the odo and sometimes more.

It’s funny that the near base model retains the most value.

i wonder if this is true for SR too? I think it makes sense b/c it's the cheapest for those who want to buy a Tesla, and the tax credits are a flat amount.

Not everyone understands trims etc and pricing is often based on Model averages

i wonder if this is true for SR too? I think it makes sense b/c it's the cheapest for those who want to buy a Tesla, and the tax credits are a flat amount.

Not everyone understands trims etc and pricing is often based on Model averages
Yeah. I actually had a pending order for an SR until converting it to a Y reservation as I was fairly certain that even with a year of use and abuse I could still sell it for minimal damage to the pocketbook.

I don’t think we have enough data on used Model 3 pricing to really know which trim level holds the best value.

I think we can take an educated guess that paint upgrades don’t hold much value. Cars with FSD will clearly sell for more, but I have no idea how much more. I don’t have AP or FSD on my car and it would cost me $10K to upgrade. I’m pretty sure I would not get anything close to an extra $10K for my car on resale if it had those features.

I don’t think we have enough data on used Model 3 pricing to really know which trim level holds the best value.

I think we can take an educated guess that paint upgrades don’t hold much value. Cars with FSD will clearly sell for more, but I have no idea how much more. I don’t have AP or FSD on my car and it would cost me $10K to upgrade. I’m pretty sure I would not get anything close to an extra $10K for my car on resale if it had those features.

SR or SR+ probably holds most value simply because people see a “Model 3” as a “Model 3”. The Tesla website makes it clear what each trim means and why it costs more or less. If you come across a used Tesla somewhere, its hard to see it in context of other trims because many people don’t likely go to the Tesla website (or it will be obvious you are better off ordering a new one). But this is now. In a year or two the car will be seen as a variety of cars (trims).

Hell, lots of people don’t know that the Model 3 is much cheaper than the Model S.

As long as supply remains low and demand remains high, used prices will be close to the price when new. Rebates cloud the picture and probably don't affect much.

I think that Tesla used values will remain high - that is, unless you don’t trash the car and wear it out before its time.

SR or SR+ probably holds most value simply because people see a “Model 3” as a “Model 3”. The Tesla website makes it clear what each trim means and why it costs more or less. If you come across a used Tesla somewhere, its hard to see it in context of other trims because many people don’t likely go to the Tesla website (or it will be obvious you are better off ordering a new one). But this is now. In a year or two the car will be seen as a variety of cars (trims).

Hell, lots of people don’t know that the Model 3 is much cheaper than the Model S.

As long as supply remains low and demand remains high, used prices will be close to the price when new. Rebates cloud the picture and probably don't affect much.

I think that Tesla used values will remain high - that is, unless you don’t trash the car and wear it out before its time.
Agreed. Base models will hold their value best dollar for dollar as with most mid-high end cars.

I understand the OPs range concern. My SR never once charged to the advertised range from day 1. Best I get is around 212. Doesn't make me warm and fuzzy for actual future degradation.
Could be worse..

upload_2020-1-20_14-25-5.png

• Informative
Reactions: super20g
I see lots of Teslae in my neck of the woods, and ya know, not one of them has ever been sitting on the side of the road with no juice.

How many folks in this thread have ever been below 100 miles remaining? 75? 50?

Myself, I’ve been in double digits twice that I can recall. Both less than 75, more than 50.

PPPPP - prior planning provides proper power.

And a little bit of caution.

For example: We just drove from the Atlanta 'burbs to Savannah in temps in the high 40s (F). We probably could have made the 202 miles to the Metter, GA Supercharger with 7% battery remaining, but that's on I-16 in a thinly populated rural area.
Not somewhere to misjudge your range or to be unable to handle a 30 mile diversion if a crash closes the Interstate.

So we diverted briefly while passing Macon and added 12%, and then arrived with 18% charge. A much better safety margin.

Reactions: dmurphy