Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Reveal - "Cards Close to the Chest"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what I can tell full AP will require more than just the right cameras and computer. It needs redundancy in those plus redundancy in actuators for steering and brakes. So even if Tesla had high confidence in that they can run full AP on the hardware that's currently installed, those cars won't be AP with just a software update. Best we can hope is that Model 3 is designed with a future upgrade in mind.

Last edited:
From what I can tell full AP will require more than just the right cameras and computer. It needs redundancy in those plus redundancy in actuators for steering and brakes. So even if Tesla had high confidence in that they can run full AP on the hardware that's currently installed, those cars won't be AP with just a software update. Best we can hope is that Model 3 is designed with a future upgrade in mind.
Okay, I'm missing something here. You don't have redundant actuators for steering and brakes now, in any car.

There are a number of components that are single point failures that would leave the driver without steering or brakes.

Why should the autonomous car be held to a higher standard than any other car?

Reactions: austinEV
Currently that is correct, and I do not think the mechanical link will go away soon. What does make sence here is the steering column and brake / accelerator pedal will retract and give the "driver" more room. These features are current and only used for ease of entry and exit. Reliability is being proven currently also. I see on the latest GM models electrically assisted steering the reliability improving rapidly. Used to be motors and controllers failed regularly. Now the sensors are the weak spot. The software is set up so if the computer is unable to determine what the driver wants it disables the assist. In my view, if the computer is controlling the steering, it is not as reliant on those same sensors. You have a greater pool of data to concern that the car is responding to the command of autopilot. Same with the brake system. When was the last time you had a hydraulic leak? Usually a failure is worn out brake pads. ABS works quietly in the background as traction control. It usually warns of an electrical failure that does not affect the basic system. Again, in response to this, the computer does not know what the driver wants. If the autopilot is in control, it has more resources to stop the car (using regent mode to stop if necessary) and to monitor the results. This also allows greater reliability, if you will, over driver input due to ap control.
I also believe that the model 3 will be delivered with full autonomous driving hardware installed.