Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 screen hot to touch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Bouba

Sep 23, 2021
France
Hi
My MiC 2021 M3LR was today parked in the winter’s sun while we went for lunch...the cabin temperature was 17c (62f)..sentry mode on...when we got back the screen was hot to touch..the housing and the face...the housing was about the same temperature as the steering wheel heater on full...it did start to cool down on the drive home..but whereas I would expect an average of 108 kilowatts per km (173 kw/mile) I was averaging 150 (240)...and was consistently spiking at 300 (480). I’m on 2023.2.12
I’ve heard talk of recalls...Anyone got any ideas? The energy screen didn’t mention that I was using excess energy

The screen is just a screen and has very few electronics inside for that purpose. It probably just got hot in the sunlight. There's no computer inside it that is causing it to get hot. At worst, if it gets too hot it might register "phantom" touches on the screen.

Reactions: Bouba
The screen is just a screen and has very few electronics inside for that purpose. It probably just got hot in the sunlight. There's no computer inside it that is causing it to get hot. At worst, if it gets too hot it might register "phantom" touches on the screen.
So there is no link to the excessive energy use on my drive home?

I took the car out again today...and she was back to her usual frugal self and the screen was cool to the touch...so I will put the other day down to an aberration....(unless it happens again)