Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my Model Y Performance normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Supposedly with the latest revision of software, the range estimates are supposed to be more accurate. I have found the energy screen to generally be very close rather than the range gauge at the tope. The energy screen has to have a destination (active navigation) and will be very good at what it projects your arrival charge level will be. I still like ABRP for longer trips to plan everything out.

How is that fun? How can one justify spending almost $80K and have to go through this ? Crazy taking any long trip unless one is traveling on a popular Highway that has SC every 100 miles 😲🤦🏻‍♂️
Do some research. ALL EV's have this limitation. ALL. ;)

EV travel is still very different than ICE travel. Until there are more charger stations available, nationwide, side trips that deviate from population centers and interstates won't be much "fun", unless you enjoy paying attention to fuel usage. ( It's sorta/kinda like flying an airplane...you MUST know your fuel/distance ratio or else...well...)

EV road tripping is a lot of fun, but you've got...to...pay...attention...to...fuel...

(FYI, I've taken 4 serious road trips, DFW to Tampa FL (twice), DFW to Denver/Aspen, DFW to Frederick, MD. Easy, chill, no range anxiety at any time. YES, on interstates, but in the Frederick, MD region, SChargers are few and far between. Still, no issue.)

Last edited:
Just got a Model Y performance a week ago and tried for a quick state park camping trip. Two super chargers on the way. The gap between the first supercharger and second was 155 miles. Charged to 80% at the first and it said I was good to go and would arrive at the next with 30% battery. Had to turn around because 50 miles in it said we wouldn’t make it. Driving 75 on clear easy rural highway.

If that is “how it’s supposed to work” then the car blows.

Is it possible your trip began with a strong headwind or a long slow incline that you didn't notice?

Either way, sorry to hear this is your experience.

The new 4680 MY apparently only has a 50 kWh battery pack rated at 279 miles I think, which in reality is going to be a fair bit less if experience is any indicator.

I still think the base Y is an awesome $45K car.

Is it possible your trip began with a strong headwind or a long slow incline that you didn't notice?

Either way, sorry to hear this is your experience.

The new 4680 MY apparently only has a 50 kWh battery pack rated at 279 miles I think, which in reality is going to be a fair bit less if experience is any indicator.

I still think the base Y is an awesome $45K car.
More like 68kWh for the AWD SR - Tesla Is Delivering the Giga Texas Model Y to Customers | Torque News

Also, there's a bit more reserved battery in Tesla even if % shows 0. Test has shown that in MY can still go for over 20 miles after battery reaches 0. So in theory, if OP slows down, turn off AC, switch to chill mode once battery hits < 20%, he should still be able to travel at least another 50 miles. I think he would've definitely made it, but it is understandable that it would be under a stressful situation.

Also, there's a bit more reserved battery in Tesla even if % shows 0. Test has shown that in MY can still go for over 20 miles after battery reaches 0. So in theory, if OP slows down, turn off AC, switch to chill mode once battery hits < 20%, he should still be able to travel at least another 50 miles. I think he would've definitely made it, but it is understandable that it would be under a stressful situation.
@Jersey_guy_202 I would not plan or assume any buffer at all. The SoC measurement can be wrong or mislead by battery health issues. My Model S once shut down on me with reported 5% left. Gamble with the buffer at your own risk.