Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Sedan or Coupe? [Mar 2016 discussion from before reveal]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am no longer hopeful that the Model ≡ will be shown in multiple configurations. I believe they will eventually come, of course... But I expect the car shown on March 31, 2016 will be a Sedan.

I'm sure the Model ≡ Sedan will be an awesome car that I would personally like a lot. However, I don't particularly like Sedans, in general. If I enjoyed sitting in a car like a preying mantis with my legs bent up to my shoulders behind the steering wheel, I'd probably like Sedans. Unfortunately, I don't find that seating positing particularly comfortable. And, with the advent of increased crash test requirements since the early 1990s, the B-Pillar in Sedans has steadily gotten larger, wider, and thicker than every before. For someone that needs to stretch his legs in the drivers' seat, the B-Pillar in a Sedan is immediately in the way when attempting to make safe lane changes -- SIGNAL, MIRROR, OVER-THE-SHOULDER, GO! I have to lean forward, lean backward, crane my neck, hope like heck I didn't miss someone else's signal in the blindspot, then change lanes. It is a real pain in the [BUM].

That can be avoided a bit by driving a Coupe. Typically a Coupe has longer doors, so the B-Pillar is moved further back, leaving a clear view of my surroundings when looking over my shoulder. A quick glance, without any acrobatics, and I can change lanes, unmolested. So, I'm hoping that there will be a Model ≡ Coupe -- with Falcon Wing Doors -- so that I can be safe on the road at all times. I understand that most people don't have these concerns and buy Sedans by default -- when they aren't getting Pickups, SUVs, and Crossovers instead. Thus, it is very likely that I will have to wait to get a Coupe from Tesla Motors. Though I hope for a Model ≡ P120D Coupe, I could settle for a Model S P135D Coupe instead. Whichever arrives first, I'll buy it.

I am no longer hopeful that the Model ≡ will be shown in multiple configurations. I believe they will eventually come, of course... But I expect the car shown on March 31, 2016 will be a Sedan.

It will be one car, the Model 3, a sedan.

Almost positive a Rep from Tesla confirmed this after an article posited that multiple variants would be shown at the event. I think it was on Elektrek but I dont have the inclination to find it right now

I love my Model 3 but still yearn for a light weight (electric and affordable) coupe. I searched the forum for "coupe" and found this old thread. I don't see Tesla making an affordable sports car; I only hope

Define sports car.

For some folks something that handles like a go-cart even if it's slow is a sports car.

For some folks if it goes really quick in a straight line, even if it can't turn worth a damn, it's a sports car.

For some folks if it can't do BOTH it's not a sports car.

For some folks if it doesn't have an antique clutch/3rd pedal it's not a sports car, even if having one makes it slower than the alternatives.

and a million other definitions.

To some folks a civic is a sports car. To some a Miata is. To some a Charger is. To some a CTS-V is. All terribly different vehicles though. and 2 of em have models that cost more than some Tesla cars.

Sports car for me is 2 or 2+2 seats, superb handling, good road feel, and decent power. Miatas, 86s/BRZs, Nissan Zs, Mustangs, various Porches. The Charger is a beastly muscle car, but not a sports car to me. I'd like to see something similar to Tesla's Roadster in a 40-60K price range; even with power down in the SR Model 3's range. Don't get wrong, I love my dual motor 3. But,every time I deliberately take it out like it is a toy (like 5 days/week), I wonder what it would be like if it weighed about 3K lbs (because it is an EV), was 10-15 shorter in wheel base, 1 or so inches lower....more 'tossable'