Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ and MR: No physical differences?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI from the Feb 28 call regarding the launch of the SR-

Gary Gastelu: [00:43:16] Elon, are the battery packs significantly reduced with cells or is this more of a software restriction...

Elon Musk: [00:34:31] That the standard range pack has significantly fewer cells the long range pack has on the order of 50% more cells as the range suggests. The uh yea. Um. It's not just a software restriction otherwise our our our materials cost would be too high

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Right, you should listen to it as well and wonder what he was thinking during the long pause.

Bottomline, the SR and SR+ have the same packs at this time. SR is software limited. The only question is how will the module configuration and cell count evolve in the future.

If you read the FAQ page on their website, it hints that premium connectivity may be offered down the road for the SR/SR+ models.

Frequently Asked Questions - Connectivity

See the following sentence in the document:

Connectivity plans for Model 3 without Premium Interior will be announced later this year.

So it’s anyone’s guess if they follow through with it and offer some sort of option for premium connectivity, but the FAQ also states that it’s only included with the Premium Interior for the first year anyway, and then it’s expected to be around $100/year.

I would not purchase an MR personally. EIther go with the SR+ because it’s an amazing value at $37K (at least until they presumably raise the price next week), or go with the LR because for an extra $6K you get the full premium interior plus the 325 mile range. I debated between the two and ended up going with the LR, but I still think $37K for the SR+ is an amazing deal, especially with the remaining incentives still available.

Thanks for this info.