Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ battery capacity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the subject of SR+ battery capacity. I am quite eager to find out what my car's actual battery capacity is. So far there is no official information. Car weights are not reliable source - Tesla shows same weight for SR and SR+, but SR should have less equipment(power seat motors, no full mid console, less speakers, different fabric, etc..) compared to SR+. Mid range weight was showing a bit higher, but again we have different equipment, it is not just the battery)
So, after driving/charging the car for a few days now, I can deduct the the SR+ pack currently has ~54kWh available capacity, based on the car readings.
First - the car is showing a rated Wh/mile "line", which is at 225 Wh/m, where you can achieve the rated 240 miles range. Multiplying 225 by 240 = 54kWh.
Second - I charged the card from 48% to 89%, and for 41% battery capacity it took ~22kWh(again based on the car readings, I have no separate meter at home), so 22/41 = ~ 54kWh

Please confirm or prove me wrong. My engineering side really wants to know what the real number is.

So far the car is a blast to drive, the winter real world Wh/m in VA(freezing temps in the morning) is between 275 and 300Wh/mile, which with only using the battery between 80% and 20% gives me pretty much 3 days of commute with no charging. When I "feathered" it in the afternoon drive, it went down to below 200Wh/m, but the instant torque is way too addictive, to drive this way. Still, I see, that I'll have no problem to get the range if I do a long distance trip.

I think that the one thing that you may have not factored in is that EPA allows Tesla to somewhat fib on its numbers. As well as I can remember, there have been times where the LR RWD, LR AWD, and P have had the same range published at 116. The published numbers are an agreement between EPA and the Manufacturer. Tesla decided to take multiple cars with individually different number and make them the same.

I really have no question that the SR and SR+ are the same battery. Having more than two different batteries (LR+SR) makes manufacturing harder.

Honestly, I look at a specific range number as something that you will rarely ever achieve. No, not because you can't get that high, but because it, to a great degree, is a random number. I get above it, I get below it. I've driven an electric for about 5 years now and have found that it is just not worth worrying or even thinking that much about. For winter, I drop by about 30% and that's it.
When taking a road trip, my biggest thoughts are choosing chargers with the best places to eat at. And hotels that have some sort of charging just make my life simpler.

Just get out and enjoy the car. The most important thing for you to do is to schedule a road trip. Get over the range anxiety. Of course that was much easier in my 2015 Leaf with 88 mile range. A trip 60 miles away was good enough. You'll need to take the 180-200 mile trip, which take longer.
I've got the LR RWD, I've had a number for 500-1500 mile trips. Barely even thought about the battery. At 220, you really shouldn't have to either.

Please confirm or prove me wrong. My engineering side really wants to know what the real number is.

54kWh is a reasonable conclusion and about as accurate as we'll likely to ever see. My rough calculation was 55kWh.

Many people equate battery capacity with a volume, like the size of a gas tank. This is an oversimplification of the physics involved. The amount of energy extracted depends on, among other things, battery temperature and discharge rate. You'll get 10 gals of fluid from a 10 gal tank independent of spigot size or fluid temperature. For the battery, you'll get less energy from the battery if it's discharged at a faster rate or if the battery is colder. In both cases, internal resistance is higher and leads to more losses at the cell level.

Also, if there was any question, the current SR pack is just a software limited version of the SR+ pack. This may change when the new modules from the Grohmann line start being sold.

I totally agree! Although on the part with the liquid fuel - 10 gallons of fluid might have different energy density - E85, Gas and Diesel are different energy wise. The funny thing is that one of my cars in the past - Chrysler 200 with 12 gallon tank, was making about 180 miles in the city on gas and about 140 max on E85, and again - even worse in the winter - much worse than my Tesla, but people sometimes expect the battery range to be the the same no matter what the conditions.
Just to be clear - I do not suffer from range anxiety! :) I bought the SR+, not because I could not afford an LR, but just because I thought it is exactly what I needed. And yes, I'm planning a road trip with 189 miles between 2 of the superchargers along the way.

What’s the official weight if your SR+?

See my post in other thread
I’ve done a great deal of research on this. My prediction. SR+ is actually MR(62kwh) software limited to 240 and only available for a limited time to drive sales in Q1. Here’s why
  • 240 exact without EPA est. Tesla knows the car will have at least 240 miles of range If it’s actually a 62kwh battery
  • Timeframe. Plus is within 2weeks. Aka already being made. SR is 6-8 weeks, the time frame of getting 50kwh Standard range packs.
  • Weight difference from SR+ and MR(now removed) is about 50lbs. Difference of Subwoofer and amp
  • At ~ $150kwh for batteries, cost difference to Tesla in giving 62kwh as 50kwh base about $1800
  • Top speed of SR+ and MR both at 140MPH. 0-60 is 5.3 vs 5.2.
Any thoughts on this. I’ll confirm in a week or as soon as I see the actual weight of SR+
Tesla Model 3 - Wikipedia

Reactions: hckyplyr