Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ with only 220 mile range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend bought a Model 3 SR+ and from the start it only had a range of 220 miles. He contacted Tesla and was told the battery is fine after they did remote diagnostics. The car is not the SR model but I suspect the software is setup for the SR spec and limiting the battery capacity. Has anyone seen this with an SR+? I'm suggesting he should schedule an appointment with a Tesla SC. Strange that they couldn't resolve it remotely though...

Was it used or brand new?

Tell him he should feel lucky. Here’s my August 2019 build SR+ with 21,500 miles - showing 211 miles projected @ 100%.

8FFE5505-663F-419E-A76B-8495CB84D800.jpeg

If it came like that new, sounds like a configuration issue for sure.

As far as my car, it’s at 12% loss (240 original, not 250). My car has seen maybe 3,500 miles of supercharging at most. It’s mainly charged at the house. Daily commute is 65 miles, and the car was charged to 70% Monday-Thursday during the first few months I owned it (end of summer/fall). Then I changed to 80% during the winter months. It was charged to 90% on Fridays for the weekend.

Car hovered between 40-60% during quarantine. I’ve begun charging to 90% nightly to see if any of the range comes back. If it does, I’ll go back to my old charging routine knowing it’s just a BMS calculation issue. If it doesn’t come back in a month or two, the car might be going to Carvana and I’ll look for a used LR RWD. The LRs in general seem to be holding up better.

Hope your friend gets his car sorted out.

Was it used or brand new?

Tell him he should feel lucky. Here’s my August 2019 build SR+ with 21,500 miles - showing 211 miles projected @ 100%.

View attachment 567870

I'd say I supercharge 95% of the time (free charging) and I have a 226 mile range at 100% at 11,180 miles on my SR+

It's pretty much been around that range for a while now so I'll continue to monitor but I'm not worried

Agreed, Tesla should be able to fix his range issue.

Sounds like you have been treating your battery just fine, it’s possible range will increase if you recalibrate it by charging to 100% once from a fairly low state of charge, haven’t tried this myself but I think others have had success with it. Apart from the SR battery cycling more frequently than the LR I wouldn’t expect any difference in degradation rate, the cells are the same chemistry etc.

Good idea to get a used LR RWD if you need the range, they are becoming available now at more reasonable prices. Great car for road trips too, been very happy with mine which was one of the last ones Tesla made in the US in June 2019.

I'd say I supercharge 95% of the time (free charging) and I have a 226 mile range at 100% at 11,180 miles on my SR+

It's pretty much been around that range for a while now so I'll continue to monitor but I'm not worried

I believe the Model 3 battery holds up well to frequent supercharging whether SR or LR. I have only about 10% supercharging so far, mostly 110v 5 mile/hour charging. Are all SR+ M3s now at 250 mile max range after the software update late last year where they went up from 240 miles?

My 2019 SR+ right around similar range display as yours. Came at about 234 miles at full now at like 220. Had discussionwdiscussion Tesla and was told it's good by remote diagnositc.

My solution is honestly is keep it in percentage and not get anxiety over miles displayed. I still seem to get consistent range and energy consumption. Miles displayed is just what vehicle thinks it might get not really what it will get.

Really wish Tesla would push out update to correct the miles displayed if the battery is truly just fine and it's just software glitch. But for now having it in percentage and watching the cunsumtpuon is kinda what I do to make sure I still get consistent range.

I'm at 19k rn. Bte

Status
Not open for further replies.