Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 sulks if it isnt parked on the drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think most people would find it easier to carry a keycard than a spare Android phone! :)

I thought the same. Knowing the Android will also work with NFC then I don't tend to take anything but the phone for short journeys (a couple of miles), but for longer journeys will always take the wallet with keycard in it just in case - never had to use it so far though.

When I switched to iPhone I found that my connectivity problems using my old Android phone disappeared (mainly because it was knackered, probably not because it was Android) ... other than iPhone preference for being in a front pocket when you approach the car, but I'm happier that my phone doesn't allow the car to unlock unless I'm right next to it!

What, you don't like the jeopardy of being sat upstairs on the toilet and knowing that someone could open the car ?

It's a double-edged sword, the Android NFC is handy to lock the car on the pillar as you leave for peace of mind, so you're not walking away across the car park, looking over your shoulder, wanting to be sure the car has locked itself, but if you had an iPhone you wouldn't have that concern anyway (it seems).

Having said that, you can be well inside the house and someone can unlock the car (tested it), but if you get out of the car and get the charging cable out of the front, then one time in three the charging flap will have closed by the time you get to it - how is that logical ?

Huh. Just tried it and it worked. Had to have the Tesla app open (unlike Google pay where the phone needs to just be unlocked)

Is it really the app being open as such, or could it just be timing ? For a while I didn't the phone as a key as for me it's un-lockable over quite a distance, so used the phone as NFC on the pillar. But, placing the phone on the pillar often didn't unlock the car immediately, so got in the habit of opening the app before leaving the house and then walking to the car. But, it wasn't opening the app itself that made the difference, just that opening the app would wake the car up after a few seconds and that was around the time I got to the car.

In other words, it might not be opening the app itself that's making the difference, but that the app's waking up the car.

Is it really the app being open as such, or could it just be timing ? For a while I didn't the phone as a key as for me it's un-lockable over quite a distance, so used the phone as NFC on the pillar. But, placing the phone on the pillar often didn't unlock the car immediately, so got in the habit of opening the app before leaving the house and then walking to the car. But, it wasn't opening the app itself that made the difference, just that opening the app would wake the car up after a few seconds and that was around the time I got to the car.

In other words, it might not be opening the app itself that's making the difference, but that the app's waking up the car.
Not sure. It's definitely different than just proximity (Bluetooth) opening. With Bluetooth the car doesn't react I just try the handle and it opens. When I tried the phone against the pillar (like with key card) the car honks and wing mirrors open. I'll test again. I'm trying to carry as few cards as possible in my wallet so being able to leave the key card at home and just trust my phone would be great.