Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Trunk Leak After Rain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you ever figure this out? I just discovered that my lower cargo area is completely soaked including the sound deadening padding underneath the liner, to the point that the liner is molding. Two weeks ago it looked normal. The rest of the trunk is bone dry.

Never had an issue in the last 3 years until now. The car is also completely clean with no debris along the seal.

Only thing I can think of is that the car was in for service for some rattles and in rained heavily while parked outside for a few days (and I normally garage it).

Do those of you who are describing leak issues find only the cargo area soaked, or elsewhere in the trunk too?
The leaks I experienced were definitely effecting more the area near the driver side wheel well.

Did you ever figure this out? I just discovered that my lower cargo area is completely soaked including the sound deadening padding underneath the liner, to the point that the liner is molding. Two weeks ago it looked normal. The rest of the trunk is bone dry.

Never had an issue in the last 3 years until now. The car is also completely clean with no debris along the seal.

Only thing I can think of is that the car was in for service for some rattles and in rained heavily while parked outside for a few days (and I normally garage it).

Do those of you who are describing leak issues find only the cargo area soaked, or elsewhere in the trunk too?

Going through the exact same thing. Lower cargo area is drenched but everything else is dry. I have a mobile service tech coming out next Tuesday and will update the thread.

Attachments

• unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    802.1 KB · Views: 142
They found the issue. It was a seal around the trunk that somehow allowed water to drain directly into the lower cargo area. Still don’t understand it. But it seems to be resolved now. Had to replace my entire carpet liner. For what it’s worth, I was two weeks out of warranty so I had to pay out of pocket and the entire service was around $250 including the new liner. I guess it could’ve been worse.

They found the issue. It was a seal around the trunk that somehow allowed water to drain directly into the lower cargo area. Still don’t understand it. But it seems to be resolved now. Had to replace my entire carpet liner. For what it’s worth, I was two weeks out of warranty so I had to pay out of pocket and the entire service was around $250 including the new liner. I guess it could’ve been worse.

Thanks for the update. Which location did you go to? I have an appointment at the Kennesaw SC this Friday. Crazy how everything here is like 1-2 weeks out.

Really sucks that even though Tesla has known about this issue since day one, that anyone would have to pay out of pocket to get it fixed. But from what I have seen replacing the trunk seal hasn't really fixed much. The newer Model 3's also have an extended lower rear glass seal to help with the issue. But I really don't understand how Tesla could have missed this during water testing prior to selling the cars. Or maybe they did and still sold them. That seems to be the norm now a days like with software, sell it broken and fix it later.

Reactions: Jack Vang
I had the same issue with my Model 3 (2018).
It rained heavily in the Bay Area, car was parked outside, level surface, for about 3-4 days over the holidays.
Opened the trunk to find it was sopping wet, with water sloshing around in the lower cargo area (underneath the lid). Mould on the lid, and later inside too...

Took it to Fremont service center (earliest available appointment) 2-3 weeks later. They said rear trunk seal was repaired. Repair and replacement of carpet, quoted at $573.
Car just got out of warranty in Dec...

I'm also concerned about other damage caused by this water leak (not just interior trim), and the water sloshing about in lower cargo area?

Anyone else experience downstream issues with the water sitting around, leaking through the wiring harness, or undercarriage?

I had the same issue with my Model 3 (2018).
It rained heavily in the Bay Area, car was parked outside, level surface, for about 3-4 days over the holidays.
Opened the trunk to find it was sopping wet, with water sloshing around in the lower cargo area (underneath the lid). Mould on the lid, and later inside too...

Took it to Fremont service center (earliest available appointment) 2-3 weeks later. They said rear trunk seal was repaired. Repair and replacement of carpet, quoted at $573.
Car just got out of warranty in Dec...

I'm also concerned about other damage caused by this water leak (not just interior trim), and the water sloshing about in lower cargo area?

Anyone else experience downstream issues with the water sitting around, leaking through the wiring harness, or undercarriage?
This is jus unacceptable! Not only that water got in but that you had to pay to get things fixed and that it took 2-3 weeks to get an appointment. Elon sure has fixed the service center issues alright!

Question, was your trunk seal lower lip tucked in our out? Seems like they came from the factory tucked in and many have pulled it out so it matches the upper trunk seal. Not sure if that would have had anything to do with your leak but it sucks leaks occur at all, it's like Tesla didn't do any water testing at all.

Yeah, I understand you're in a 2018 and your basic warranty has expired, but a seal shouldn't ever need "repair" unless it was misinstalled to begin with. As resist notes, the rear trunk seal is notorious for being misinstalled. You shouldn't have to pay for their mistakes.

Reactions: tarmour
I have a 2019 Model 3. I bought it 6 months ago pre-owned. Its been raining really hard these last few days. My trunk on the left side is wet and its leaking enought to soak the cargo area. Your not alone, I put a dry towel in there a few days ago. Made sure the trunk was closed hard. The towel is now almost soaked. I'm going to pull the liner out and do the hose flashlight test soon. It'l start to mold if I don't. Seal around trunk is solid and feels brand new, no leaves or debree whatsoever. Opening the trunk is not the cause of this leak. Its much worse. Starting to smell too, I noticed this issue a few months ago, and dried it out on a nice day with trunk open. Forgot about it until yesterday. Does anyone know if this was a recall issue?