Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Trunk Leak After Rain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had to learn the hard way to keep my snowbrush in the backseat of the car. Opening the trunk with snow on it is a disaster, unless you want to transport snow inside the trunk for future snowball-making use!

Another reason why having a waterproof cargo liner can be a good idea. At least it catches what falls in from the trunk opening (rain or snow) and keeps the carpet dry and gives you time to mop up any water. I have the 3D Maxpider cargo liner in mine but am also careful on opening having seen YT videos from before I got my car. Also don’t have to worry about liquids from grocery shopping etc causing an issue.

Reactions: toolman335
I had this problem and took it in for service - this is the only real issue I've had with my car in 6 months.

While they didn't officially find anything wrong with it (they did test it) I'm still seeing the problem, and have done my own diagnosis: The rubber inside the trunk makes contact with the trunk lid when it's closed and causes a seal that - when clean - works successfully. But you get one damn pine needle in there and that seal is broken and water will flow through.

I don't know really what to do to fix this issue -- if it's really something that needs another service appointment or just "the way it is". Its not like my car is covered in pine needles, but I don't think I should have to do a careful inspection of the seal and dirt on the trunk when closing it every single time.

I see you have the same issue. I am having the same issue dame pine needle is getting water all over the trunk. I am bring it in for the 2nd time tomorrow. Last time they told me to wipe the needles before closing trunk. I really don't like that answer, but I don't know what other options do I have...

Just so other people knows, I noticed the showroom model 3 has a different design of the rubber seal than my model 3.

Pine needles probably also mean fine pine sap. As some people who visited the Los Gatos, CA Supercharger found out the huge pine cones from some of these trees can damage/dent your car and even crack your roof glass. I try to stay away from any kind of pine/redwood tree when parking.

I see you have the same issue. I am having the same issue dame pine needle is getting water all over the trunk. I am bring it in for the 2nd time tomorrow. Last time they told me to wipe the needles before closing trunk. I really don't like that answer, but I don't know what other options do I have...

Just so other people knows, I noticed the showroom model 3 has a different design of the rubber seal than my model 3.

I'm anxious to hear what they say! Please let us know.

My car has been repaired once for this issue and I have a follow up appointment as the issue persists. In my case the problem is water coming from below. The explanation I was given was that the metal panels that make up the trunk are not fully welded but rather spot welded. The balance of the joints are then sealed using some kind of urethane. If they miss spots - water will get in from below (in my case the only place is see evidence of it is the extra low area on the driver side). All that said I would caution that in fact a rubber trunk mat could conceal the issue for some time and prohibit drying - which would not be good. This time I plan to ask for photos of the repair. I am curious how they check their work? The way I have seen similar things handled in non auto situations is to put a bright light on the back side of the seam and look for light leaks.

I had my TM3 in for service 3 times, to no success.

Here’s my issue: after it rains for a while, I’ll go open the trunk slowly. I’ll open it a few inches, to let the water run off. Then I’ll open the trunk fully. A few seconds after the trunk is opened fully, I’ll see water falling though the vents on the passenger side of the trunk, next to the light.

I took apart the trim, and saw water coming through the piece in the picture.

At service, they said they water tested it, but didn’t find anything, other than a loose gasket the first time.

Has any one else had a similar issue?

Attachments

• 901A5881-27DB-45D3-8EE4-053DAEC2C0EA.png
    901A5881-27DB-45D3-8EE4-053DAEC2C0EA.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 406
My car has been repaired once for this issue and I have a follow up appointment as the issue persists. In my case the problem is water coming from below. The explanation I was given was that the metal panels that make up the trunk are not fully welded but rather spot welded. The balance of the joints are then sealed using some kind of urethane. If they miss spots - water will get in from below (in my case the only place is see evidence of it is the extra low area on the driver side). All that said I would caution that in fact a rubber trunk mat could conceal the issue for some time and prohibit drying - which would not be good. This time I plan to ask for photos of the repair. I am curious how they check their work? The way I have seen similar things handled in non auto situations is to put a bright light on the back side of the seam and look for light leaks.

yes if water is somehow coming in from below that would be true in that case. I kind of think since I haven't seen many cases like that that it's a rather rare thing. But good reminder to all to periodically check your lower trunk and frunk. Heard of mice getting in there so another unwelcome thing to deal with. At least periodic checking will catch things sooner than not and less damage done.

I'm anxious to hear what they say! Please let us know.

Let me update some pictures, so we can all get some ideas. The pine needles are really small object, stuck 3 or 4 these needles between the lid and the rubber seal. Pour some water and test the leak. Above is literally what I *suggested* Tesla service center to do.

I got a text says car ready for pick up. I wend there, the told me cleaned debris and raise it with water for on hour no leak. They didn't change anything. Oh yeah, they asked if my car trunk was closed all the way. Of course it was. (They should be able to pull logs on their side either way to verify this.)

If you see my picture, my car trunk was soaked in water. I refused to take the car back because they didn't change anything.

The service rep cracked me up we and we had a few arguments. She first asked me:
1. did you close your trunk all the way.
Then, she said they cleaned debris(my car wasn't dirty, not much debris) and tested the car was no leaking. Offer me two solutions:
1. clean debris before close trunk, or
2. if I don't have access to a garage, invest in a car cover.

Above are the exact quote on quote sentences from her. I laughed and refused to pick up the car, because it is not ready. It is already my second visit, and I am not going back for a third for this leak.

Attachments

• 941578505797_.pic.jpg
    941578505797_.pic.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 351
  • 931578505796_.pic.jpg
    931578505796_.pic.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 350
Reactions: Windjunk
Let me update some pictures, so we can all get some ideas. The pine needles are really small object, stuck 3 or 4 these needles between the lid and the rubber seal. Pour some water and test the leak. Above is literally what I *suggested* Tesla service center to do.

I got a text says car ready for pick up. I wend there, the told me cleaned debris and raise it with water for on hour no leak. They didn't change anything. Oh yeah, they asked if my car trunk was closed all the way. Of course it was. (They should be able to pull logs on their side either way to verify this.)

If you see my picture, my car trunk was soaked in water. I refused to take the car back because they didn't change anything.

The service rep cracked me up we and we had a few arguments. She first asked me:
1. did you close your trunk all the way.
Then, she said they cleaned debris(my car wasn't dirty, not much debris) and tested the car was no leaking. Offer me two solutions:
1. clean debris before close trunk, or
2. if I don't have access to a garage, invest in a car cover.

Above are the exact quote on quote sentences from her. I laughed and refused to pick up the car, because it is not ready. It is already my second visit, and I am not going back for a third for this leak.

I edited your picture for clarification, and this is exactly the same issue I have. It's that ONE needle that will cause the entire flooding.

To me, this is really unreasonable that a tiny thing can cause so much potential damage.

Edit: And honestly, everyone potentially reading this thread, I get both sides of this argument. As a reasonable person, under reasonable conditions, I just have to say that it's not fair to have to live in a very wet, very rainy environment and have to do a serious inspection of the cleanliness of your rubber seals to prevent a potential flood of your trunk. It's a super-light pressure seal that goes all to hell with one tiny needle.

Attachments

• OneNeedle.jpg
    OneNeedle.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 346
I edited your picture for clarification, and this is exactly the same issue I have. It's that ONE needle that will cause the entire flooding.

To me, this is really unreasonable that a tiny thing can cause so much potential damage.
My work macbook and stroller was all in the car and all soaked. It is reasonable to ask tesla for damage? They hasn't get back to me yet on what they will do yet. The car is still "ready for pick up"...

Anyone thinks we have a fair stand for a class action law suit? I don't want to be drastic, but if they refuse to make changes and tells me to get a car cover, wipe debris before closing. Or hint me that I need a garage for a Tesla. I am going to be very vocal about this.

I understand Tesla made so much advancement in technologies, but water leak prevention is the basic requirement for a car. It is not even two years old to date. I hate to compare with other cars I owned in the past, but...

Actually thinking about this a little bit more, it is basic reasonable expectation. Rain falls from the sky. Leaves fall from trees. If a leaf (I'd call this a leaf for the benefit of simplicity) and rain can cause a leak in a car, that represents unrealistic expectations. I have never had a car that had a problem with leaves + rain, in any quantity, nor do I think you'll find in the manual that there is any expectation to clean the seals on your trunk before closing it or you'll get leaks (but I would check, cannot at the moment).

That to me does smell like something that can demand appropriate action.

I had a trunk storage compartment full of water a couple weeks ago. I’m fairly certain it was due to a fir tree needles creating an opening for water to get into from the trunk gasket (design flaw from Tesla that doesn’t allow water from the rear glass to drain appropriately), as I could see that it had dripped from somewhere high up, creating a splash. Took it to the SC regardless. They found 2 leaks around the charging port as well. So far, no water in the trunk... except what gets in when you open it.

Actually thinking about this a little bit more, it is basic reasonable expectation. Rain falls from the sky. Leaves fall from trees. If a leaf (I'd call this a leaf for the benefit of simplicity) and rain can cause a leak in a car, that represents unrealistic expectations. I have never had a car that had a problem with leaves + rain, in any quantity, nor do I think you'll find in the manual that there is any expectation to clean the seals on your trunk before closing it or you'll get leaks (but I would check, cannot at the moment).

That to me does smell like something that can demand appropriate action.
They called back told me they adjusted the latch to make the seal contact closer and put it under the hose for longer water testing. Found no leak.

I keep telling them you are testing it in a perfect environment. No debris or any other foreign elements. In real world, car doesn't sit in a clean repair all day. It is going to rain, leafs gonna fall. Mother nature is going to do things to your Tesla. I would still expect this to not leak these much water in the trunk.

They told me to pick up the car or they will start to charge me for the loaner car. I will escalate this to Tesla directly on twitter maybe. Any other suggestions?

Because wiping my trunk door clean of debris before closing is not an expectation to any car customer I would think.

They called back told me they adjusted the latch to make the seal contact closer and put it under the hose for longer water testing. Found no leak.

I keep telling them you are testing it in a perfect environment. No debris or any other foreign elements. In real world, car doesn't sit in a clean repair all day. It is going to rain, leafs gonna fall. Mother nature is going to do things to your Tesla. I would still expect this to not leak these much water in the trunk.

They told me to pick up the car or they will start to charge me for the loaner car. I will escalate this to Tesla directly on twitter maybe. Any other suggestions?

Because wiping my trunk door clean of debris before closing is not an expectation to any car customer I would think.

The issue is really a design flaw that doesn’t drain the water appropriately. The primary method to prevent water ingress should be drainage, not seals. But on the Model 3, it relies on a perfect seal contact. You’re not going to get anywhere with Tesla service.

I would also recommend parking it so the nose of the car is facing downhill. When I had my trunk leak, it was on the rare occasion it was parked nose-up in my driveway.

The issue is really a design flaw that doesn’t drain the water appropriately. The primary method to prevent water ingress should be drainage, not seals. But on the Model 3, it relies on a perfect seal contact. You’re not going to get anywhere with Tesla service.

I would also recommend parking it so the nose of the car is facing downhill. When I had my trunk leak, it was on the rare occasion it was parked nose-up in my driveway.

Spot on, I agree on the design flaw and water should be drained than relay on the seal.

Have you guys seen the new design in the model 3 trunk rubber seal? All I am asking is they perform water ingress testing on a model with newer seal and my car. Test it with 4 or less pine needle stuck in between like the picture above.

If the newer seal perform better than older ones. Change out the older ones and put a newer seal for me.

They are inclined not to do that because my car "works" in their shop testing environment.

Is my request reasonable or making sense? Or am I requesting too much.

Short of tweeting Elon, I don't know a way to shine a spotlight on this. And no, I generally don't find it acceptable. No matter what, no one should have to apply a brush and inspect their door seals to prevent leaks into cabin space.

However I agree with @pdx_m3s that you're not really going to get traction with the service center as they are "break/fix" and you have to prove that it's "broke". I think you had the right idea, but be methodical:

1. Put a pine needle in the seal. Don't be excessive. The point is that this can break with one damn needle. That will demonstrate that this can easily break. Test it at home first. :)
2. Ask them to show you where, in print, it says that people need to clean out the seals prior to closing the trunk as the standard way to prevent leaks.
3. Once they fail at that, have them retest.

That will help I think.

Also I'm seeing some 3rd party seals that might help. It's not so much about diverting the water really as there just is very little pressure from the seal to the top of the trunk, so literally anything can create an air-gap where water will flow. More pressure = better seal.

Thanks @PDX_Magesh and @Kognos for chimp in. They did not want to work with my request by changing the seal out to a newer design seal.

From their point of view, "original seal is working fine no leaking when no debris. The trunk was designed to have any debris between the trunk and the rubber seal". They think the newer seal design will leak as well.

I am picking up the car this afternoon. Expect nothing is changed to address this leak.

I don't believe the newer seal is significantly different.

it seams to me the only improvement they could make with the current design is piece shaped like a T that would be adhered to the trunk and the bottom would slip down in the gap between the seal sticking off the glass and the wider seal that sticks up from the trunk.

water wouldn’t be able to follow the lid by surface tension. But debris could still bend it. Might be hard to align during installation.

I had my TM3 in for service 3 times, to no success.

Here’s my issue: after it rains for a while, I’ll go open the trunk slowly. I’ll open it a few inches, to let the water run off. Then I’ll open the trunk fully. A few seconds after the trunk is opened fully, I’ll see water falling though the vents on the passenger side of the trunk, next to the light.

I took apart the trim, and saw water coming through the piece in the picture.

At service, they said they water tested it, but didn’t find anything, other than a loose gasket the first time.

Has any one else had a similar issue?
I am having the same issue. I hear water swishing around in the trunk lid and then once the trunk is fully open the, the water starts to drip from the inside liner where the vent holes (beside the interior trunk light) is.

I am having the same issue. I hear water swishing around in the trunk lid and then once the trunk is fully open, the water starts to drip from the inside liner where the vent holes (beside the interior trunk light) are. I could not pinpoint where the water is getting in from. I have a mobile service appointment booked for next week. There is a YouTube video of exactly the problem I am facing.